1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD won, you just don't know yet.

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rihgt682, Jul 5, 2006.

1. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

HD-DVD sales are hard to come by here because its hard to sell a HD-DVD player to a customer when the first thing they say is[bold] My DVD player does the samething as this player what i need it for [/bold]its very hard to justify selling someone a player for 500.00 dollars when we have smaller dvd player that can do the samething but lesser clairty or they could get a upconvert dvd player.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006
  2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Others may be content with regular DVD's - and they have the right to think so. But I consider myself a videophile and and early adopter so I tend to get the newest technology. I must say that the Toshiba HD-DVD player at $500 is the best purchase I've made in the past year with respect to value. It's the 2nd cheapest component on my A/V rack but it delivers the best bang for the buck.

Tell me where your store is as I have several friends looking to buy an HD-DVD player. All the local stores have sold out their Toshibas - either the HD-A1 or the HD-XA1. They're also looking to see if the new RCA HDV5000's are as good.

Added: Nevermind - they ordered online.

3. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

It is, If you have HDTV. I have HDTV and Regular DVD player looks awful. Yep awful. But it looks ok if you have upcovertion HDMI dvd player. But not good as Blu ray or HD DVD. So if your going to stick with your tube t.v, then you have no reason to buy Next gen dvds. But if you have hdtv then you might wanna get it.

4. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

When you guys talk you got to keep one thing in mind.Your alot more informed then the average customer.Thats why you guys and me can justify the price tag they cant.Five Hundred US dollars to a hardworking person is a lot of money.But onething is missing that people has over looked is upconvert DVD players there sales has just up unbelievable the last few months.Why price between the 70-140 range once they go down a little more they will sale even better.

5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Exactly right. We're in the HD-DVD and BluRay Forum and the "average customer" wouldn't normally look in here for info unless he was interested in the new formats. This is where we post our opinions of how great (or how bad) the new formats are. The "average customer" can then decide for himself if they're worth his time or money.

BTW - the cheapest component in my AV rack is an Oppo upconverting DVD player. Although the Toshiba HD-A1 has proven to be a top-notch upconverter I'm keeping the Oppo for its multi-region capabilities. But like I said before the PQ of upconverted DVD's on my SXRD is still inferior to true HD sources such as HD-DVD.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I hate to beat a dead horse but...

What?

You can twist words to mean what you want all you want, it doesn't change the facts.

First, its a war because there are at least two opposing forces fighting for the same niche.

Websters defines war as; [bold]2 b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end [/bold]

What end? The HD movie market. So yes it is a war.

Please speak for yourself because my store is empty. But we still have a couple Samsungs left! :)

It sounds like you need to put the HD-DVD player on a 1080p tv using HDMI. Then properly calibrate the 1080p set and then put as actual HD-DVD or HD-DVD demo disc in the player. Then show the customers what they are missing (the art of the demo!).

With all of this talk about video quality and the formats not being next gen I begin to wonder how much you guys know about these new format. I feel that it is time to fully expose HD-DVD and Blu-ray and DVD and show you all why these new formats are cool, "next gen" and why people should buy into them. I will post a new thread on in this topic somewhere in the coming weeks.

Well thats all for now...
    Ced

7. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

I twist words..lol what are you talking about im speaking something i see everyday.Okay how can you call something a WAR when Blu-Ray just got on the market to sell where as HD-DVD had has all ready been on the market for a while.Diabolos you need to read the meaning of War because it looked like you didnt understand it.Far as people not understanding the new format i unstand it very clear its a Damm Bigger DVD i just dont fall prey to some of the things other people say.Please tell me something Nex-gen that the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD can do that the DVD cant do on a smaller scale.As a matter of fact Diabolos ask Microsoft Development Team for the 360 that same question i just asked you and see what they say.They put 360 games on DVD9.But the System itself is nex-gen why because i does alot of thing that the X-BOX cant do.Not enhance things.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Just because a product came into the market later does not mean it's not meant to compete against another product. When PS3 comes out this fall you bet it's coming out to compete against the 360. Case in point - Betamax was introduced by Sony in 1975 and JVC introduced VHS later in 1976. The format war that ensued became a classic case study in marketing.

It looks like you're the one who does not understand the concept. HD-DVD and BluRay are competing for your high-def dollar. All over the internet you see HD-DVD vs BluRay, Toshiba vs Sony. In AV and tech forums you see supporters of each side arguing back and forth, defending their cause. Just look at all these links:

http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/129058.html
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=152
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=150
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7628.cfm
    ...and many more.

From your own afterdawn news section:
    You bet it's a damn bigger disc. HD is roughly 6 times the resolution of standard DVD's. You and others like you may not see and hear a difference - and you have a right to feel that way. Those of us who have the equipment to see and hear a difference are sold and we are embracing the new technology. Don't dismiss us just because you don't see a difference or you don't care. You say you work around this stuff all day - fine. You see a lot of average customers who may not care - but we do. We have seen the best picture we have ever seen from a commercial product and are not satisfied with the "smaller scale." We want our high def and we're willing to spend money to get the best. That's our opinion and you can't change it.

I've read this somewhere: "If picture quality was not important then we'd still be collecting VHS tapes."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2006
  9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm going to start a thread about this but one example (other than higher picture resolutions and using better codecs that don't produce any visible artifacts...) is the ability to stream special features over the internet. Extra features can now be played in sync with the main feature (audio and video). Directors can now talk about seens and actualy show what they are talking about. One of the coolest features I read about is the ability to watch the movie and see how they created the scene in another window as it happens. There where examples of CGI and CGI inviroments with real people!

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Any thing is possible with the new [bold]iHD[/bold] and [bold]BD-J[/bold] interactivity systems of HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2006
  10. PKGupta

PKGupta Member

well... [bold]many[/bold] people are going to buy the ps3 and that will include a blu- ray player which will boost popularity

11. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Okay im Blu-Ray & HD-DVD out Guys....lol time for me to move on or i will hate my PS3 when i get it.

12. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Depends on how much is " alot " to you...Not alot to me

13. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Well for me I'm a tech kinda guy and I still wouldn't pay for an hd-dvd player for $500.Maybe when they come down to like $250 and if they win the "war".Ps3 will offer the bluray,games,support for regular dvd's,cell chip,wifi,hdmi 1.3(primo model only),free online,...etc there's just to much to list.

So for $600 I will be getting alot in value when compaired to just a stand alone hd-dvd player for about the same price.

I also have xbox 360 but want ps3 as well because I love alot of the exclusive titles.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  14. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@tycobb:

Like you said the PS3 and the Toshiba are two very different things. One is a computer/gaming console that's supposed to do a lot of things. The other is a standalone HD-DVD player that's exclusively for movie playback. People buy the Toshiba for completely different reasons - it's not meant to compete with the PS3. We will be definitely interested in one aspect of the PS3 though and that's how well it performs with BluRay movie playback.

You should also realize that when you get the PS3 you will have to budget for games - which are definitely going to be much more expensive than movies - plus accessories, etc. That will bring your total to close to $1000 depending on how many games you plan to get at launch. Online retailers will probably have PS3 bundles at $1000 or more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  15. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@tycobb:

It also doesn't make sense for you to get the Toshiba since you mentioned somewhere that you don't have an HDTV yet. If I were you I'd look to get a PS3 and an HDTV first then think about HD movie formats later. You really won't get that WOW factor from HD movies until you get an HDTV.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  16. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

not true i Pre-order a few games for my PS3(MGS4,GranTour HD)The highest PS3 games going to be is 69.99 10 more US dollars than others games thats all(i pre-order at BestBuy and the Manager a sure me that the price would not be higher than that he said that Sony has comfirm with them that price thing is only a rumor.).Thats on selected title like Gran Tour-HD.If you cant handle the price of games(basic same as 360) you can always rent them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  17. JudyChick

JudyChick Member

@DamonDash:

You obviously have no idea of the concept of budgeting. Ask your mom or your girlfriend. This is why women take care of money matters in the family. With the price of games $60-$70 the importance of budgeting becomes more important. Not everyone has unlimited resources to spend on the PS3. For example if you get 4 games on release you have to add another $240 to your gaming expenses. Add a few accessories - maybe an additional $100. Everything adds up. If you think you'll get by with just $600 when the PS3 comes out you're sadly mistaken. That's what budgeting means.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  18. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

[bold]@ JudyChick[/bold] excuse me im a grown ass man i dont need my mom or woman to do anything for me.Dont judge me on your budget i know what i can and cant afford. They are alot of men out here that can budget there money.

19. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@JudyChick:

Good point! My girlfriend just laughed out loud when she read your response to DamonDash. She obviously agrees with you.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You make a true point. Just about every man I sell things to how to check-in with there better half who they affectionately call "The Boss" before "any" purchase is made.

I'm a grown single man that can budget his money too but I feel that statment was unneccessary. DamonDash I think you missed the point of her statment.

JudyChick please correct me if I'm wrong,
    Ced