1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD won, you just don't know yet.

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rihgt682, Jul 5, 2006.

1. xymor

xymor Member

in double layer Blu-ray,
    the Hole 50GB disk only store 2 hours in 1080p video encoded in mpeg2.
    Using Mpeg4(AVC), 1080p, It can store 4 hours.

2. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

Too bad sony is using the old mpeg-2 codec. Anyhow I kinda agree with the whole women thing. I lived in house with my girlfriend and roomate and his wife. I remember then the day the Sammy BD was release he brought it. I was really surprised bc lets say we wouldnt be living together if we had mucho money. Anyhow we actually had to hide the player for a couple of from his wife and my girlfriend while secretly testing it out. We eventually returned it bc the PQ well frankly "sucked". About 2 weeks ago we brokedown and begged my girlfriend and his wife if we could buy the HD-A1.After splitting the cost down the middle (250) I am a proud co-owner of HD-DVD and I couldnt be happier. Honestly Im no bitch but when making a signifant purchase ex: car,house, expenses eletronic you may want to run this by your mate they tend to get pissed if you dont.

3. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Okay look why should you have to run anything by your mate if the bills are paid & everything in the house whole is took care of.Some of you guys need to grow a back bone and start being the man of the house like you should be.I bet she's not going to show you all the little things(that do add up)outfits etc...she picked up from the mall.

4. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

LOL you have a point.Besides if she doesn't put out for a week or two at least you'll have your ps3 or whatever to play with hehehe....

It's not that much to budget for me because I know the hours of enjoyment I would receive from any console.When you understand the specs it's actually cheap(for me anyways).I may have the thing for 5 years.

Whatever happened to renting games? Judychick you don't have to buy every game and nobody is for certain the price of games will be that high.There is gamefly and blockbuster's online service as well.Not to mention all the free demo's you can download via the free online service from sony.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  5. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

HD-DVD also convert regular dvd to HD. Blu-ray doesn't. another plus for people who doesn't have upconver dvd player.

6. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

You have to take into account the name too, many people are unfamiliar with the name "Blu-Ray" and the name "HD-DVD" sounds like DVD which is trusted and used by millions. Just by talking to people who dont keep up on tech news I can already see HD-DVD is going to win. Because everyone that I talk to about which format they are going to use say to me "Blue what?" (except the few and far between) so imagine (in a few years, when HD becomes commonplace) some single mother who wants to upgrade her DVD player to a HD player. Is she going to buy some technology called "Blu-Ray" or something that sounds like the player that she has trusted for years, just with a HD infront of the DVD part? Probably the HD-DVD one because it sounds like the technology that she has had for years.

Just a thought.

7. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I have no idea how blu ray think it's going to be win.
    $1000 vs $500. Not to mention $500 has a better picture quilty. I think a LOT of people would pick the $500. Or maby that's just me.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Not true, all current HD-DVD and Blu-ray players play and upconvert standard def DVDs.

Ced

9. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

nope,Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player BD-P1000 does not upconvert. some may like sony blu-ray.

10. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The BDP 1000 DOES UPCONVERSION of regular DVD's:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1683&page_number=1

11. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

my source was wrong. sorry

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The players will not upconvert copy protected discs thru component but will do so thru HDMI.