1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD playback question with WD

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by stclev, Feb 20, 2011.

1. stclev

stclev Member

I bought a WD media player 2 days ago and so far like the product. I have a question with playing back HD files that I downloaded. The first movie was BluRay 720p DTS x264. When I played back the movie the picture filled the screen of my HD TV. The next movie was a BluRay 720p DTS x264 and had the 2 blacks bars, on the top and bottom of the picture.

What is the difference between these 2 files? I obviously am a newbie and sincerely appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

Some blu rays have the black bars(16:9) on them and some don't (4:3). Most of the newer blu rays created will have the black bars(16:9) on them since that is how the original movie was recorded by the film producer. There are some blu rays that don't have the black bars and are in full screen (4:3) such as older movies that have been transferred (converted) to blu rays.
    (16:9)black bars
    (4:3)full screen

3. stclev

stclev Member

Thank you for your help!

4. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Don't mean to be anal. But if you want to be really technical for Blu-ray, it's:
    1.78:1 and 1.85:1 - Full-Screen
    2.39:1, 2.40:1, 2.40+:1 - Black Bars

1.xx:1 = Full-Screen, 2.xx:1 - Black Bars :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011