1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Navi89, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Heres the story... I was running a 80gb 10k w/ my OS and a 250gb for storage. Everything worked beautifully until I re-installed my OS. When I re-installed I had my 250gb unplugged. When I came to a fresh desktop I shut down and plugged up my 250gb, but the PC would not boot to my desktop with the 250gb plugged in. It would boot to my BIOS, and it would see the drive, but would not boot to desktop. While playing with it I made the mistake of trying to plug up the 250gb with the PC still on. I didn't plug in the power, only the SATA cable to my MOBO. But as soon as I did the whole PC shut down completely. When I turned it back on the PC would not see my 10k. So now I have a 10k that the PC won't see, and a 250gb that the PC won't boot with. What am I to do?

Thank you.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try checking the jumpers on the hard drive and making sure its booting from the SATA 1 port. You could also use a linux utility called G Parted Live to partition your drive (without loseing data) and install the OS on the drive that the computer recognizes. The last step could be a format. By what you said though, I think that it could be a bad SATA cable or a bad 80GB HD. The 250GB sounds like it should be fine. Moreover, Plugging in just the SATA cable is not recommended when the computer is on but "should" not cause problems. I have done it and it has not caused me problems.

3. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I thought jumpers didn't matter for SATA. It shouldn't be the jumpers, the HD's worked fine and I never touched the jumpers. So they are in the same mode that they originally worked in. It's not a SATA cable either as I have tried 3 different cables. Can plugging in a 2nd HD while the PC is on damage the 1st HD? I don't know what else to think. They both worked fine until I did that. Is there anything I can try to get the PC to see the drive?

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try booting with a Windows XP installation disc with the drive that the computer cannot see. If it recognizes it then go ahead and format it (if nothing important is on it). I had this happen to me and I ran an overnight checkdisk that recovered the drive data and let me boot to it, but I sill needed a new drive. Run checkdisk from the windows recovery menu after booting from the XP CD. (It might take a very long time to recognize the drive, or even the windows installation when you boot into recovery mode, DO NOT RESTART IT, just wait, it might load. It took my drive about 1 hour for the computer to recognize the windows installation, then I could go ahead and run the checkdisk.) I don't see how plugging in a second hard drive could damage the 1st one. Also try plugging the HD that doesn't work into the slot of the HD that does work and keeping the HD that does work disconnected. When doing all of this make sure the working drive is unplugged to prevent damage or accidental format of it. I will post instructions if you need help to run checkdisk from the windows installation CD (XP).

5. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I tried booting with the OS in the drive, it goes through the motions but then says no drive detected, press F3 to quit. What is check disc? I tried plugging the HD in to all 6 of my SATA's, it doesn't see it.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

7. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Thank you, I'll try and will report back.

8. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Update:

I have had no success. I tried check disk on my 250gb and it never finishes. I let it run when I went to bed, I woke up 10 hours later and it still said examining disc. I know you said it takes a long time but is 10 hours normal for it not to be done? I could not let it continue as I need the computer. The following night I tried to wipe the partition and install XP. Again I let it run at night, 10 hours later it's still examining disc. I've installed XP 25+ times and have never had it take so long to wipe my drive. The PC detects the drive in my bios but the PC won't boot to desktop with the 250gb plugged in. The XP screen pops up, the bar goes across, the XP logo disappears to a black screen, and it just stays like that and never comes out of it. On top of that my PC won't detect my 80gb no matter what I do. This all started when I plugged in the HD with the power on.

Did I fry my drives or does anybody have suggestions?

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

When the drive is in use (being checked or attempting to install windows) does it become abnormally hot or click? Are you sure that the drive is spinning?

10. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I can hear it spin and feel it get hot, but not abnormally hot.

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I really don't know what to do if this method doesn't work. I think your best bet is to take it to a professional if there is important data on it. If not, then call the manufacturer and tell them that the drive doesn't work but don't tell them that you plugged it in while the computer is on. Most likely they will send you a new hard drive.

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Also, did you try the drives in another computer?

13. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I looked up the warranty on the manufacturers site and there is no warranty. I did not try them on another computer.

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

What brand are the drives? Also, call the manufacturer anyways, they might replace it. And try them in another computer.

15. Navi89

Navi89 Member

The 80gb is western digital, the 250gb maxtor. Why would the manufacturer replace them if they are not under warranty?

16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try calling them anyways. The maxtor will probably be replaced. I called on my 200GB and they replaced it when it was 2 years old. About the WD, I dont know if they will but its worth a try. They usually do this because it is cheap to them to refurbish the drives. They just need to replace a single motor in it that has failed or a single platter.

17. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Cool, didn't know that. I'll call tomorrow. Thank you for all the help, I noticed you were the only person to post. Your help is appreciated.

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Thanks. Tell me how it goes.