1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Projector or TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raiten, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I posted something similar to this in the PS3 thread but someone directed me here. And I also tried searching, everywhere actually, for an answer to my question but have come up with nothing.

I'm trying to find a HD Projector for my PS3, one that will give me the best quality and compatibility with my PS3. I don't really want to spend any more than $1500, but if something nice is suggested i'm willing to reconsider.

I have found the Mitsu HD1000U to be one of the best for me, it's within my price range, and supports HD signals. I'm not looking for 1080p btw, at least 720p or even 1080i would be fine...not many games support true 1080p anyway.

Also, i've been contemplating on whether or not a Projector would be the best course for me. So if someone could suggest an HD TV(1080p optional since TVs are cheaper)above 46" that would be good then again...i'm willing to reconsider.

I apologize if something like this was asked before, but like I said, i've searched and couldn't find anything relevent.

2. super_arj

super_arj Member

I found with my xbox 360, with experience playing on tv and projector, that a tv would be advisable. And if you want a good tv , i suggest a 1080i Samsung or Sony tv. Not Mitsu as i have found they are very unreliable.

always happy to help

Super Arj (Sony technitian)

3. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well I was searching around on Cnet and found this Toshiba and it has pretty good reviews from actual consumers. Either that or this Pioneer which got both a great review from both the editors and the consumers.

The Pioneer says that it has true 1080p while the Toshiba has 1080i/720p. They are roughly the same price, depending on where you purchase it from. I want a big TV..and 62" is pretty damn big, but a 50" Plasma is pretty damn sexy on it's own lol.

I just can't decide really. Any more insight you can give me? :(

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

For the PS3 I think you should really consider a front projector. I have a Sony SXRD for "daily use" but nothing beats a front projector for that "home theater" experience. I have a Panasonic PT-AE900u 720p LCD projecting to a 110 inch pull-down 16:9 screen. That together with a 100-watt per channel 5.1 receiver and decent speakers and you'll have the most intense gaming experience. I've had my friends over for multiplayer Resistance on the PS3 and Gears of War on the 360 and the front projector just can't be beat.

Your choice of the Mitsubishi HD1000u is a very good one.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HD1000U.htm

5. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Bah! Here I was thinking that I would just get another recommendation on an HDTV lol.

But it's true, the more I read about the HD1000U the more it sounds like what I want. Thanks a tone for the link btw. The reviews are much more informative than others i've read.

I was also a bit concerened about the PC connectivity that one person mentioned. I want to use it for my PC as well for ease of downloaded movie watching(Heroes, woo hoo! lol)and occasional game playing and internet browsing. Anyone with this or a similar projector use their PC on one with the same issues?

One more major point that worries me is the bulb life
    I play games for hours on end(RPG fan) and this will drain the life of the bulb like crazy i'm sure, but 500 hours? I don't want to have to spend hundereds of dollars on bulb replacements every couple months. Is this something i'm going to have to worry alot about? o_O

Thanks a ton for all your guys' help and input. Please keep them coming :D

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

PC connectivity on my Panasonic is not a problem (DVI from my video card -> DVI to HDMI cable -> HDMI switcher -> HDMI cable to projector). I watch 720p or 1080i material recorded from my HD cable box and they look great.

500 to 700 hours is a gross underestimation. I'm already 1500 hours into my first lamp in "eco mode." The Mitsubushi has a lamp life expectancy of 3000 hours in "eco mode."

7. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well that's good to hear on all counts. Well I think i'm gonna go ahead and start saving up for the HD1000U then...hopefully by the time I have the extra cash it'll drop in price again :p

Thanks a ton for all the info and help eatsushi and super_arj. :D

*Edit*
    Oh! One more thing...I noticed there are a TON of different screen types and manufacturers. I want at least 100" screen, manual or electric I guess don't really matter to me although I prefer electric...i'm lazy lol. But what should I look for in a screen anyway?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Here's a good guide on what to look for in projection screens:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_review.htm

The difference between classic white and high contrast grey:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/white_gray_projection_screens.htm

Why "low-gain" screens are usually better:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_gain.htm

... and a good summary:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/screen_reviews_summary.htm

BTW, I found that the Da-Lite High-Contrast Grey with 0.8 gain works best for my setup and my usual ambient light conditions.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  9. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Thanks a million for all your assistance eatsushi. I've finally decided on getting the HD1000U with a 54 x 96 Da-Lite High-Contrast Gray Perm-Wall and a Draper Low Profile Projector Mount. Total cost from Focused Technology(w/out cables) = $1,627.00.

Which doesn't seem so bad with that good quality of a screen. I can find a 50' HDMI and Component cable on Ebay no problem. HDMI quality is the same since it's a digital signal, but the component cable I may have to spend a bit more on.

Now I just gotta put my ass in gear and save up the cash and buy it :D

Thanks again for all your help eatsushi. :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  10. cmoney333

cmoney333 Member

if you need cables go to monoprice.com and look at the prices you will be real suprised by the way i have 360 hooked up to a sanyo plv z-5 with an onkyo 604 receiver and infintity spakers 7.1 and to put it honest theres no other way to live playing games or watching movies or sports is just amazing my first bulb lasted 900 hrs and the second one iam on 1200 hrs so they last a while and i use it for my only tv you might need a bulb once a year for about 300 bucks but its so worth it and every time you get a bulb its a brand new picture again like you just bought the projector plus a 60 inch tv well thats just my picture in picture you know what i mean

11. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well I just ordered the projector from a different store, 6Ave.com, for only $888 shipped. Cheapest place i've seen, plus all the reviews for the store were great so i'm hopeful. I should hopefully get it by the end of this week. But since it was that expensive i'm going to have to wait for the screen :(

But once it comes i'm going to get the cables and ceiling mount. Or I might just get them now so I can plug it all in when it comes. :p

12. cmoney333

cmoney333 Member

you can get a good screen for not thatmuch money check out www.projectionwholesale.speak to the guys there they will point you in the right direction for ascreen that will fit your needs just tell they what your using the projector for. i got a grey material for high def with black material around the frame its worked out great for video games movies and hdtv should only be a couple hundred bucks you dont need to spend alot of money on a screen everybody tries to rip people off on this item i have seen my screen on the internet for twice what i paid see if that helps you out good luck hope it works out

13. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well I've been reading on the AVS forums about the DIY screens. And one that would be very easy and cost effective for me is a counter laminate from WilsonArt. The color is Designer White and requires no painting and it's sturdy enough to stay flat on it's own. I plan on making my own frame with some wood and laminate adhesive, but for now...since I spent that much on the projector i'm going to go the "ghetto" route and use a cloth lol...yeah yeah...it's really ghetto I know. :p

14. henthom

henthom Guest

go to www.fixya.com and check the experts online chatt live you will get a solution to your problem