1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD swap materials...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by XrichardX, Jul 28, 2004.

1. XrichardX

XrichardX Member

I'm new to XBOX modding, so please forgive me. I just would like to know that when swapping my XBOX harddrive, what materials will I need? I'm thinking of buying a 250 GB hd and a XBIT solderless chip. I will get BIOS and probably the EvoX dashboard, but I want to know if I need to buy anything additional. I don't want to buy anything later, I want to be able to to order everything I need and have it ready. Please PM me if willing to help answer a noob's many questions. Thanks alot guys, this forum is the best!

XrichardX

2. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

You will need to set up FTP with your Xbox and PC, only possible if you put Evox (or other dash) on your Xbox first. Then copy the C and E folders to your PC, put evoxdash.xbe in the root of the CD and burn. I don't remember if you have to convert those files into an Xbox image or not, but if that way doesn't work use Craxtion to convert. Replace your HDD, put the disc in Xbox and go. Set up Evox again, then you can use the Slayer's disc to format the new HDD and put everything else you need on the new HDD.

3. ksman13

ksman13 Member

if you want a better alternative i know where you can get a better deal. you can get a hard drive (what ever size) preloaded with evox the bios the apps and some emulators. if you do this i am 90%sure you will not need a mod chip sense the hd is already ready. plus you can swap out your old hd when you want to play on xbox live. this is a way of doing the soft mod i think. i just ordered mine today in two weeks ill post something saying if it worked or not. in the mean time check out my thread "soft mod idea" or goto supertrick.net for some tutorials and a forum on soft modding. for some reason i could not get the forum there to work so pm me if you can. in the mean time patience is a virtue. or check out xbox-scene.com for more in depth tutorials and forums regarding mod chips and other mod stuff.

4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

I think you have the wrong idea about what a modchip does, you cant just have a hard drive ready, put it in a unmodded xbo, and expect it to work.
    The modchip allows the xbo to use alternative bios, so to use a bigger, xbox with various apps, dashes etc, you would need it to boot with the alternative bios , which can be flashed to a modchip(there are other methods, tsop , and some software exploits)
    but setting a hard drie up, without doing anything else, it wouldnt work.
    the chip in itself (modchip) has nothing to do with the hdd

5. XrichardX

XrichardX Member

Thanks for the replies. Achilles3:so when I buy everything(hd, XBIT) I will recieve info on bils,dashes,etc. also right? I just want to make sure it is only programs, and that I don't have to buy anything. When I FTP, can I go through my router? Or do I have to physically hook up my box or chip?
    ksman13: Thanks for the offer, but I want a modchip. I want to be able to play my originals on Live without having to switch my hd.
    djboogie:I know what the modchip does. That's why I haven't bought anything yet, because I want to make sure that I buy everything I need at the same time.

I also have another new question. I have looked around, and read that some say that the xbox can only do 137 GB. Yet they sell 300 GB HD's for the XBOX. Which is true, as I'd like to not waste money on space that I won't be able to use. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Also, I read that when logging onto Live, your hd is checked to see if it is "modified". Is this true? Can I play on Live without having to go through xbconnect? Or would xbconnect my new "Live".

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  6. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Richard - when you buy the chip, it will probably be pre-flashed with the Cromwell bios. It won't let you do anything, besides accessing your modchip's OS, and until you re-flash it with a different bios (X2) you can't run backups. Cromwell is legal because I think it uses Linux codes, but X2 is illegal and it uses MS XDK. Since it's illegal, you'll have to find way to get it yourself. About FTP, yes you can hook your Xbox through the router. Don't forget to use patch cables and not cross-over cables. If you wanna play games online via Xbox Live, you'll have to lock your HDD, turn your modchip off, and use the original game disc, else you'll be banned. But there are free online services out there like XBConnect, that are just like Xbox Live (except you'll need to have your PC on to play with XBConnect), you can just use your games from the HDD. The 137GB HDD is not a problem, just use the latest X2 bios (4981 or 4983) and you should be fine.

7. XrichardX

XrichardX Member

Achilles, do I have to use the X2 BIOS, or can I go with EvoX? Or are they both pretty similar? What are patch cables? I am using an RJ-45 I believe. How do I "lock" my hd? And once I get a XBIT chip, a HD, and get the right BIOS, I can boot up the games stored on my HD? I can also go on XBOX Live with my chip disabled, HD locked, using my original disc right?

And when you say the 137 GB HD is not a problem, do you mean that I can use more than that? Can I hook up a 250GB HD, and utilize all of that space, or will it cut off at 137? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know as much as I can before making my investment. Thanks alot Achilles3.

XrichardX

8. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

X2 (Xecuter) is bios whereas Evox (EvolutionX) is an alternative dashboard, two different things. You can't do much with the original MS dashboard (the menu that comes after the animations when you turn your Xbox on), so the alternative dashboard will let you do all those "cool" things. RJ-45 cables are patch cables so you are OK on that. About locking your HDD, there are two ways that I know of. You can lock it via your modchip's OS settings. The other way is after you have successfully installed the Evox dashboard, go to system settings and scroll down, somewhere in the middle it should have that option. I don't have my Xbox with me right now so I can't be sure about the latter. Your question about going online, yes. After you installed the components from the Slayer's disc, it should give you an option of going to the original MS dashboard. And by going back to the MS dash, you are using the original MS bios as well. I'm pretty sure that's how it is anyway, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The HDD, you can use more than 137GB. Just use the X2 bios I mentioned above (4981 or 4983). My 250GB told me that there was about 237GB available after I've formatted it.

9. XrichardX

XrichardX Member

Thanks! When I lock the HD, can I still boot games from it or not? If not, is it as easy to unlock the HD as it is to lock it? Thanks again!

XrichardX

10. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Yeah you can boot games with a locked HDD. The original Xbox HDD is locked if you didn't know.

11. ksman13

ksman13 Member

djboogie check out supertrick.net for info on soft modding which does not involve modchips.

xrichardx the guy im talking about sells combinations of stuff and he specializes in the xbit chip check out his website www.xboxmodking.com for more info or pm him hes adres200 here on after dark you could by a chip hd and get it all preloaded/preflashed or not all from one place and I promise its a good deal I am sure that the softmod trick will work and that I wont need a mod chip but i might pick one up any way for conveinence sake for xbox live

can any one tell me about xbox live alternatives like the gamespy thing, xbox connect, and does downloading game saves work as a way of getting downloadable content without going on xbox live?

thanks

12. DaFluffy

DaFluffy Member

OK. You are just what I need. I just installed my XBIT, and flashed the X2 bios version 4981. I have a 250 GB eide hdd, and I keep getting an error code 7. HDD timeout. The only thing that I have done to the hdd is slave it on my pc and ftp all of the files from a friend's modded box that uses the x2 bios straight onto the hdd, but I had to slave the hdd to do so. I was wondering what I needed to do to get my hdd to work. Please, any explanation will be greatly appreciated, also, I'll need a thorough explanation as to where as I am not very mechanical savvy. Thank you. Scott

13. DaFluffy

DaFluffy Member

About the game tunneling. To run Gamespy, you need to download both gamespy tunnel and gamespy arcade. the easiest, and more reliable thing, though is to download the newest version of xbc. it's still a beta, but it works well. Visit www.xbconnect.com and the rest is easy. It runs winPcap and every once in a while, you'll need to reset xbc and rerun winpcap in order to find your xbox over a router and or hub.

14. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

[bold]OK. You are just what I need. I just installed my XBIT, and flashed the X2 bios version 4981. I have a 250 GB eide hdd, and I keep getting an error code 7. HDD timeout. The only thing that I have done to the hdd is slave it on my pc and ftp all of the files from a friend's modded box that uses the x2 bios straight onto the hdd, but I had to slave the hdd to do so. I was wondering what I needed to do to get my hdd to work. Please, any explanation will be greatly appreciated, also, I'll need a thorough explanation as to where as I am not very mechanical savvy. Thank you. Scott[/bold]

I don't think Xbox will run if the HDD is in slave mode. Put it back in Single/Master mode.

15. BenB1987

BenB1987 Member

sorry bout this but im a bit confused can the xbox play off the hardrive in live. jeers

16. ksman13

ksman13 Member

not unless you want M$ to flash your bios and screw up your box so no.

17. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

ksman Ive done softmodding, but I prefere modchips
    I like to mod "hardware" rather than software