1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD to PC to CD for clients to edit on there computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by howcanit, Oct 16, 2007.

1. howcanit

howcanit Member

Hi everybody, I have just registered so howdy.

I hope I am posting in correct section - if not please tell me which section I should be in : )

Here is my question, I have a sony hd cam and useually transfer my footage via firewire to Adobe prem. This I can do.

What I want to do is transfer footage from Adobe prem to CD keeping as much quality as possible - this cd then goes to a client so they can edit on there computer with lets say Windows movie maker.

Is this possible to do without losing to much quality?

I am open to ideas on how to get this footage to clients as long as it keeps its quality and that they can edit it on there computer.

Thank you very much for any help you guys/ girls provide.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What do you mena with HD? High Definition of Hard drive?

3. howcanit

howcanit Member

Hi TPFKAS What I meant by HD is my camera is a sony HD camera, the file type once transfered from camera to computer is avi.

Hope this helps.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You aren't going to get much for video quality on a CD. With DVD burners being relatively inexpensive, you could, for a nominal fee, give one to your client.

If you are saying that you are going to burn the .avi file to a CD as a data file, that may be a different story. But only if the .avi file is small enough to fit on a CD.

If that is the case, there will be no quality loss. It is still an .avi movie file. But, you aren't going to get more than a 3 or 4 minute movie (.avi) to that CD.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No, it does not help. Does it record on hard drive or is it a camcorder that records in High Definition standard...

6. howcanit

howcanit Member

1st thank you very much for replying Grandpa BW your information is well appreciated. Thank you

TPFKAS dont worry about the HD thing
    Here is my question, I have a sony hd cam and useually transfer my footage via firewire to Adobe prem. This I can do.

The camera is a DCR-HC42, it records to a mini tape.

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, your model is NOT a HD camcorder. It is miniDV recording in standard DV format. This takes about 13GB/hour. So GranpaBW is right: if you want to store it in original quality on CD you will only get a couple of minutes on one CD. If your clients want to edit it with Moviemaker, you could convert it to .wmv at the highest quality settings. The quality will be reasonable and certainly good enough to play it on a PC monitor, but some quality loss is unavoidable if you need to reduce the filesize.

8. howcanit

howcanit Member

My mistake on the HD thing TPFKAS thanks for correcting and for the info.

appreciate your time ; )

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007