1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD tv discussion forum... where to look ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by herbeapus, Jan 18, 2011.

1. herbeapus

herbeapus Member

Hi. maybe someone here can help me ...

I am in the market for a new TV ( actually 2 TVs, but for now the smaller one...once the basement is finished, a bigger on downstairs...)
    As far as TV knowledge, I am a dinosore....stil using my 19?? TV at this time....

I would like to find a good discussion forum dedicated to TVs please ? somewhere I could find the best buy in the category.

while I am here if i may....

in my living room, I have 2 sofas on 2 walls making an 90 degree angle. the TV will be in a corner. and it will be next to my gigantic window. I guess I need something with good side view capability and something that is good in a semi bright room...

let me know if you can help me

thanks
    stef, Montreal.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. next time search a bit more before posting especially to wrong forum.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

this site is not a classified section.if you dont understand the terms used in tvs read the FAQs or ask questions on here.give a size, price range and features you want and someone may be able to give you a link or tell you what models will suit your needs.

4. herbeapus

herbeapus Member

Hi.

thanks you for your comments.

I only pointed out my livingroom configuration, so some of you could tell me if a plasma versus a ctl or a led would be the better choice. wasn't looking for anything used btw..

size form 31 to 40 inches
    price : from 400 to 700 $
    features I want: nothing special, good colors, fast, hdmi

looking for a good website, beside this one, for tv roundup , or model recommnandations...

thanks

stef.

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've just recently bought a new LCD HDTV as here in England the VAT (value added tax) on goods was going up to 20% from 17.5%, we all had until 3rd Jan 2011 before they brought in the new tax.
    So I had been thinking about a new Tv for a little while & after searching ceratin specifications and users reviews I'd decided on either Samsung or Sony. Lots of adverts on telly were showing bargains but one stood out, a Sony 40" Bravia full 1080p LCD HDTV & that it had sold for £799.00 but was now being sold for £399.00.
    The Sony interested me because some of the features it had were not on the Samsung model, such as wireless internet connection for one.
    Here are some handy features - Sony KDL40EX403U:
    4 HDMI sockets
    2 Scart Sockets
    USB Music Player, HD Photo Viewer via USB
    Ambient Light Sensor
    Wi-Fi Ready
    Freeview HD Tuner
    Ethernet Port
    Bravia Sync (handy for other Sony products incl. PS3)

Anyway after having had this TV for 3 weeks now I am majorly impressed for the financial outlay & have recommended to friends.
    I'm not too sure whether this model will be an option in your country or not & also not sure if you was referring to US/CAN/AUS $'s as budget.
    To summarize, just do some looking about and read a few reviews. I'm sure you'll find something that suits your needs.

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've just seen that you did actually put Montreal in your post so after doing a quick calculation on XE Currency Converter it says at present: £633.779 CAD
    That's how much I paid for Sony mentioned above and a good price to start at from research, as anything less seemed too basic.
    Prices seem to have plummeted on LCD TVs because of the advent of LED & 3D TVs ;-)

Happy hunting.

7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I dont know about in montreal but here in australia you can pick up the older samsung (before series 6) LCDs and plasma for under $1000.sharp tvs for $500-$1200.awa,soniq and other el cheapo brands are going cheap (seen a 32inch for $400).plasmas use up more electricity but apparently the colours are brighter and the blacks are blacker.The LEDS use less electricity than standard lcds but more than crts.I prefer the picture quality on the samsungs and panasonics compared to other brands.