1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD tv on a laptop??????

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by qwerty977, Jun 15, 2006.

1. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

I am looking to buy a laptop, for 150$ more you can get the 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife screen for the Dell e1705. I looked this up on google and it said it's a 1900 by 1200 resolution which is HD and with a nvidia 7900 video card which supports HD according to Nvidia.com. If I put a t.v. tuner on the laptop with that video card and the differnt screen could I view T.V. in HD? Would it have to be a specific T.V. tuner that can support 1900 by 1200 so it could be HD?

Thanks

2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Well i am not 100% sure if 1900x1200 is 16:9 (the resolution of HDTV) I know my moitor is 16:10 (at a native resolution of 1440x900) but i forced 720p on it and it looks great.
    Thats impossible the highest HD resololtion brodcasts (to my knowledge) is 1080i (1920×1080 at 30fps), and you would need a HDTV tuner, like the ATI HDTV Wonder. But all the HDTV tuners are for OTA HDTV not for suscription HDTV, so you could only watch it with OTA HD and an anttena (no pay channels) OR you could get a sattelite USB Card and watch HDTV using that.

3. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

There are 1920 by 1200 screen resolution in laptops. I just want to know if in theory if it was a hd screen, hd video card could I watch HD t.v. on it. Would I need specific cables to run threw the video card? Would it have to be a specific tv tuner?

4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Well 1920 x 1200 is hihger than the resolutions of HDTV so yes it is a HDTV screen and even better.

As for watching HDTV through a tuner on it as i said you would need something like the ati HDTV wonder, (a regualr tv tuner wouldnt do it)
    http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html

And no you would not need any special cables running from your videocard
    unless you wanted to watch the hdtv on anoher tv other than the display of the labtop.

5. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

Thanks for the help socomii

Would that tv tuner work for a laptop thought?

6. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member