1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD tv quality avi files?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wusta515, Feb 28, 2007.

1. wusta515

wusta515 Member

Hi, I'm a newb at this and while this question is being posted, i'm searching for more info. So hope you guys can help out. I use my monitor as a T.V. and basically I watch everything on my monitor, dvd's, vcds, avi, mpeg...etc. I just want HD quality, so i'm thinking about saving up and purchasing a higher resolution or a HD monitor for my computer, not too big cuz i can't afford it. So probably a wide screen from 19"-23" So my question is, after I get the higher resolution monitor, will my avi, dvd files display better? I have an older ATI Pro Rage(if i remember..haha) for my graphics card. What card do you guys suggest on a budget? So is the monitor and graphics card all I need or am i missing something else? Thanx in advance.

2. Flameon

Flameon Member

If you want HD quality video files you will have to get a better video card to support the high res. to display on the monitor and to play the files without them lagging.

3. wusta515

wusta515 Member

is that all i need or do i need to convert the files that i get online? I mean these are just the standard avi files converted from dvds...?? thanx for your help

4. Flameon

Flameon Member

They are ripped from HD-DVD's, Blu-ray discs, or HDTV cable. You will need a codec pack. I would suggest the "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack" google it and download/install it. The HD videos are about 1.5-2GB per hour in size and are sometimes .AVi file types or .MKV file types.