1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Upconversion DVD players and new formats?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by johny24, Jan 6, 2006.

1. johny24

johny24 Guest

Well with now the High defintion dvd era is beggining i still dont understand the concept that yea there is going to be more storage on the blue-ray and HD-Dvd players. But the thing i dont understand is about the new HD upconversion dvd players that supposedly show all dvds to 1080 and 720. THe point im trying to make if that these new upconversion players can stream them into HDTV quality then why would we need the new and expensive formats and players.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Because you can't add resolution to a movie!

But it is possible to make a standard def image look its best...

HD upconversion DVD players don't add resolution, they transfer the movie data digitally and pre-proccess the data like an HDTV would. Transfering the signal digitally increases picture quality because there are no digital-to-analog conversions (or vise versa). Pre-processing the movie data so that the presentations resolution is more algined with an HDTV sets native resolution also increases image quality and is somthing that the tv does anyway.

But...

Some low quality sets have poor video proccssing abilities. The HD upconversion dvd player does the proccessing for the tv set bypassing the tv sets (possibly) inferior video proccessing capabilites. Of, course, an HD upconversion dvd players will only produce a better picture if its video proccessing capabilites are better than the tv sets (The increase in image quality or benifit is also measered by that fact).

So the benifits of the HD upconversion DVD players come from the fact that...

1) HDMI or DVI are used to make a 100% digital connection between the tv and the source

2) The video proccessing power is greater than the tv sets proccessing power

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  3. Luke5181

Luke5181 Member

I hope I am posting this in the right spot, sorry if not. I just bought a Upconversion DVD player I have tried 2 HDMI Cables, Accoustic Research and MonsterCable HDMI, When hooked up I hear a pop every couple of seconds and cant figure out what is causing it. It works fine with component but I understand that is strictly progressive scan quality and not upconversion 1080, any help?

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Right. The component video outs are restricted to 480p on copy righted matirial (everything you buy or rent).

I would take the DVD player back and have a qualitfied person test it out. I won't even begin to try to diagnose something like this over the net.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2006