1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Upconversion home player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Rob423, Nov 21, 2006.

1. rapko

rapko Member

There's a possibility that I may get a 1080p TV sometime but it won't be any time soon. My TV has HDMI but not DVI so I wouldn't be able to hook up the 971 unless there's a DVI to HDMI cable out there. Since I already have a spare HDMI to HDMI I can't see justifying another cable purchase, lol. (I just converted from S-vid before I got this TV to component cables and now I'm trying bypass that by getting HDMI which equals, LOTS OF CASH! :)

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ALL the Oppo come with the HDMI cable inculded

the 971 has an DVI output to a HDMI input to the TV inculded

the 981 has an HDMI output and input to the TV inculded

so you will not need to buy a cable!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  3. rapko

rapko Member

Sweet, thanks again!

4. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

I was going to buy an HD-DVD player then my 642 died so I think I will get an upconverting divx/DVD player instead. Video on the 642 jitters up and down on DVDs, divx, everything I've tried; worked one day, didn't the next. I'm conflicted on which upconverting divx player to get. Here are the ones I'm looking at:
    Philips DVP 5960
    Toshiba SD4990
    Samsung DVD-HD860
    Oppo DV-970HD (great reviews but more than I would like to spend)

I've read the reviews at videohelp.com and the Phillips has little to recommend it except USB; the Samsung seems better but there are few reviews. Any personal experience with these? One thing, my TV only supports DVI so I'll have to get an HDMI > DVI cable from monoprice... any issues with that?

I might break down and buy the Oppo but I have a $120 Best Buy gift card I want to use.

5. F150FX4

F150FX4 Member

Can you please do me a favor ??

for 981 model, can you please test it with CLOSED caption to see if it works with HDMI since i know some DVD player doesnt support closed caption with HDMI, only compent (RGB).

Big thank you!!!