1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD3870 512MB or 8800GT ? (still cant decide)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by phill2000, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Crysis is just way ahead of its time. Nothing can run the game on very high with 2560x1600 with frames over 60 constant like other games. I think Crysis is just very detailed, and therefore today's hardware sucks at performing. Also, since the game is set in the jungle, there are many shadows to render, and the shadows are very detailed as well.

I am not sure about #4, as I do believe SLi is a bit better. Also note that the 3870 supports shader 4.1, unlike the GT.

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Patch 1 of Crysis will with a single card(aswell as with SLI/Crossfire) boost FPS by quite abit the CEO of Crytek has said. Maybe they rushed the game even after having years to make it?

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

^^Yes, but Yerli also said that Crysis could be played on systems that are as old as 4 years... My older system with a x1950xt couldn't even play it on low as the levels increased.

Not to mention the fact about Quad Core support...

4. REAM

REAM Guest

1) YES
    2) id say no. the 8800GT is only 10-20 pounds ahead but gives a much better frame. esp in nvidia coded games like UT3 etc.
    3) wouldnt really count this as a + or - because there arnt even any games announced that have started working on dx10.1, hell there still arnt many wit dx10.
    4)it all depends on the game
    5)yes, this is absolutely true, but if your strapped for space, it has a double slot cooler

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

^You're obviously a nvidia fan boy... But anyways, replying to what you said about DX10.1, there will most definitely be games out there that will use it. I mean when DX10 was coming out, all we really heard about was Crysis, but then there was WIC, Company of Heroes, Bioshock, Brothers in Arms, FSX, Gears of War and more.

I bet that most games that are out right now will release a patch for DX10.1 when it comes out, like how COH released their patch for DX10.

6. REAM

REAM Guest

oh no... i am deffo not an nvidia fanboy, hell my last two gfx cards have been ati, i currently have an x1900XT, and will be upgrading to a HD3850 soon.

when the HD3870 was at £135, yes it was very viable, but with it being £150-£160, and 8800GT s being avaiable at £160, then i dont think it is worth it. unless ofcourse your really into HD flim watching and gaming the 8800GT is better, and when you do use it for gaming, you wont notice the image quality, because it is still damned good, yes less than the HD3870, but if you havent seen a game with that card, then with the 8800GT you get to apply top top settings, and still have it lag free, and looking superb with all eye candy.

7. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Yeah and hit the 90c mark ;)
    Boil water much?

I wonder if Sam's opinion will change to NVIDIA when the 9800GTX is realesed in February. I was gonna go crossfire on 3870's and buy a x38 board with 2 16x lanes but whats the point when a single 9800gtx has built in SLI and GDDR5 memory.............

8. REAM

REAM Guest

i doubt the 9800GTX had SLI....

and if you can cool you 8800GT, or atleast set the fan to 60% usage, its whisper quiet and kool. BTW, 90 for a GPU, ain that bad.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crysis is far from being ahead of its time, it's just shoddily coed. Very shoddily coded. The additional slowdown in the graphics industry isn't going to help either. I wouldn't be too surprised if it takes more than 5 years to be able to run Crysis at 2560x1600 on Very High. Right now, an 8800GTS (the new G92 version) will get an average frame rate of about 2.2fps at that setting. We'll need a graphics card at least 15 times the power of the new GTS to be able to run the game smoothly like that. (And even after all that, the shadows will still be crap!) The last 'cutting edge' card that was 15 times less powerful than the GTS was the Radeon 8500. That was a hell of a long time ago.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hehe. can we play farcry at that res FULLY LOADED YET?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I expect so. I can run Doom 3 at 2560x1600 maxed out no trouble, and from what I recall, Doom 3 was more demanding than FarCry.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dont think so. the first crytec engine was used for farcry, and it did exactly what crysis is doing now.

13. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i would agree with most of the other people get a 3870, another thing is how much is the 3870x2 supposed to be, because i might get that if it is in 300 range 350

also

14. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

also i cant wait till farcry2 same egine but looks like a better game

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With any luck they'll use proper shadows this time. I wouldn't mind Crysis' ridiculous hardware requirements (oh and yes, Farcry ran pretty badly on top end PCs when it came out, but not as badly as Crysis does now - 1024x768 on High was usually doable, but not 1280x1024. With Crysis most people can only just get away with 800x600, Me included) if it at least had decent shadows. I can live with slightly lower quality textures because the ones used in Crysis are very good, but when I stand next to somebody whose head casts a shadow comprised of just 5 squares, that looks pretty terrible occupying 1/3 of a 30" screen, and that's on High!