1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP Issue with Magnavox HDTV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cbomholt, Dec 31, 2007.

1. cbomholt

cbomholt Member

Magnavox 42mf230a w/toshiba hd-30a hd dvd player. See http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/443939 for a similar issue.

Going hdmi -> dvi via a straight cable doesn't work and results in a blank picture. The cable works fine with non-hdcp enabled sources.

Basically, in the research that I've done, it seems like the tv has issues connecting up with any of the newer hdcp-enabled devices (ps3, hd-dvd players, blu-ray players). In the case of the ps3 thread linked above, the issue is resolved by using component cables. That works for me as well, except that a major function of the hd-dvd player is unavailable through component video - upscaling of standard dvd's.

Two questions:
    1.) Is there anything else that could be causing this problem? (other than the tv not being hdcp-compliant)
    2.) The manufacturer claims the tv to be hdcp-compliant; is there a way to prove that the tv is not?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. cbomholt

cbomholt Member

No ideas on this, anybody?
    Is it possible that this could be caused by a bad hdmi -> dvi cable? I wouldn't think that could impact the hdcp handshake, but I suppose anything is possible?
    (the cable works fine on other non-hdcp sources)

3. aelim68

aelim68 Member

I have the same problems. I just bought a Toshiba HD-A3 and I am using a hdmi-to-dvi-d cable.

No picture. Tried all sorts of ways but the TV won't show any picture using dvi. Connected my hd cable box with dvi to the tv, same story.

I am almost sure the HDCP is not working. have you had any luck getting it to work. I am running out of ideas and just might have to return the hd-dvd player instead of forking out $$$ for a new tv.