1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD has a Wierd Name in BIOS and then some !

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lowpro804, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Hey guys im really stumped here i have this IDE 160-GIG HDD westeren digital and for some strange reason when i go into my bios and only sometimes i can see it, it has a wierd name .....nothing like im used to either it will read something like "pm-" or just a bunch of wierd charactors and symbols, and further more when my OS loads up (off another HDD,my master) it don't see it in there either but now it i go into device manager and if it decides it's going to let me see it then it will show me the messed up name like in my BIOS .....now usually id just get another one but this one has every pice of personal data that i have stored on my computer .........so i just hope that maybe someone would just be able to throw me some advice or is my drive just shot ! thanks alot

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

copy everything to the primary hdd, and format the storage hdd, and see if that fixes the hdd. if it doesn't, then you need a new hdd for storage.

3. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Well im back with a solution pretty wierd problem i was having ....well im real stubborn when it comes to something i need and well it took me a few more hours after i wrote the first post but i figured it out ....the reson my HDD was seen in such a way was caused by my damn IDE cable ....YEAH i know ....like WTF man ! turns out the ribbon wire was seperated just a hair from the connector so i just took my high tech hammer and gave it some small love taps and it works just fine so next time you here of such a thing just remember that i know i will ....i was tought good ....at the school of hard knock's ....lol thanks anyway "cee43ja1"