1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by kenio8185, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

I have 2 HDD's installed on my computer. I have one IDE one that has 40 gigs for the C: drive and 180 for the D: Drive. I have another SATA HDD (200 gigs) that i use for my E: drive. I have 2 problems here, the first one is the more important one.

1. (Major problem) My computer used to be able to read my SATA HDD but now it doesn't recognize it. Nth changed, it just stop seeing it.

2. (Minor problem) My second problem is that my SATA HDD should have 200 gigs but only 180 of it is recognized (if the driver still was being seen by the comp but now it isn't).

2. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

edit - I was scanning my computer for a virus and my Kaspersky anti virus can apparently see a D: drive.
    Something i didn't tell you that might be important is that my E: drive was gone (because the comp can't read the SATA HDD) and my D: drive changed its letter to E:, so i have a D: drive missing that kaspersky can see although it has a question mark on it and it doesn't say (D:) Local disk like it does with my C: and E: drives.

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

problem 2 the pc will never read the amount that it says on the box.200 gig but only sees 180 that is a lot but that may be it .

4. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Oh yea do you have a pci card to read the sata

5. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

what is a PCI card? Incase you didn't read earlier i said that it used to work but now for some strange reason the computer won't read it.

6. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

something i just realized, when i connect my SATA HDD and turn on the computer, when it gets up to the part where it says windows xp proffesional addition and is loading, it completely freezes there for a few minutes before the loading actually starts.

7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

if you install a pci card and connect your drive to it its 5x times faster. pci card is a board add on of all kinds of upgrades and add ons to your PC

8. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

well im just having trouble getting the computer to read the driver. My motherboard has all the right parts to connect the HDD. Do i really need a pci card?

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

if you are running IDE drives and want SATA drives to run on the same PC you must have a PCI card to read both or you can use SATA with a USB but its much slower

10. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

well i don't want to spend like money on new parts, i just want to know if theres a way to make my computer read the SATA HDD again like it used to.

11. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Oh well I've told you what I know . Not everthing is free

12. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

k thx for the help

13. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

What might help...is having some motherboard specs, in other words...what's the make/model of the motherboard. We need to know if SATA is supported natively (which means you don't need drivers for SATA drives)...or if you need drivers.

In your computer's BIOS...make sure you set the SATA functions as IDE and not RAID, if that option is available. Also...check your boot order section and if you don't want to boot "other devices" or from an SATA drive...set your boot order to CD Drive first, then IDE hard drive second. Disable the rest. (faster boot, set your primary IDE drive as first boot device)

As for your total data storage, hard drive manufacturers and the Windows operating system use different math when it comes to calculating drive space. The operating system uses binary math, as opposed to conventional math. In other words, 1 GB is equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes, whereas conventional (or base 10) mathematics instead calculate 1 GB as exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes.

If you right click your drive, and go to Properties...you'll see both math equations used. Look at the CAPACITY rating. You'll see the total in conventional math (in your case 200+ GBs)...then what Windows calculates it as (180GBs).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  14. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

ok how do i get my motherboard specs, i dun know to much about comp and i dunno what type of motherboard i have. Also how exactly do i change the SATA to IDE in the bios(i don't think i have the option but tell me just in case i missed something).

15. bkf

bkf Guest

Huh? I got 2 SATA drives and they are no faster then the ide ones. An extra card will slow down things even more. A card is only needed if your motherboard does not support SATA and that would make it a very old board

16. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

ok i asked one of the tech teachers at my school and he said it had something to do with a irq connection or icq connection or something like that. Can any of you identify the problem and help me out?

17. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The IRQ the tech person was talking about, is simply a "highway" of sorts when it comes to information being passed thru the system. Back in the day, these highways, had to have stop and go traffic lights so the different components of the PC could use the system's resources. So..if you had a mouse and a modem on the same IRQ channel..the system would freeze. Same as if you had a van and a car going down a one lane alley way at the exact same time. They'd get stuck. If you happen to run across one of the first phone modems that were made, you had to set the jumpers on that modem to use a certain IRQ channel that was not allocated to any other piece of hardware.

Nowadays, boards are made with offramps, onramps!...a totally different highway construction allowing the chipset itself to talk to multiple components simultaneously. These IRQ channels are set automatically by the system's BIOS (basic input output system) and make these system freeze's extremely rare...if at all.

Though possible, I highly doubt this is the case with your system.

Did the SATA drive come with a driver disk? If so...you might want to look into installing those drivers.