1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Recovery

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Gustavo Woltmann, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Gustavo Woltmann

Gustavo Woltmann Newbie

I've got 2.5 HDD that has pretty much died. I've had some luck with Stellar phoenix trying to recovery it but it's barely reading the sectors. It's so slow it. I let it run 24hrs a day for about 4 days and decided to cancel. That was just to scan the drive, the recovery took a few more days after that.

The drive is spinning but then will spin down. This goes on and on. Its reading about half a second of information every 10 seconds.

I don't know if anything can be done other than letting it run 24hrs a day for the next few months and have a massive power bill. Anyone have any ideas to another solution? Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

4 days..lol..i would've stopped it after 24hrs.Power use will be minimal it's only a pc & mines usually on 24/7.There's only two options assuming any of the data you recovered is any good,if it's not you have your answer.Options are let the read & write recovery run for x amount of days or accept data is gone.If you choose to let it run i'd personally set x amount of days to recover,if it hasn't by then end it all with a hammer

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if able to recover any data then see if can open it alright or not as might be damaged.

5. ajms1989

ajms1989 Member

Hi Gustavo, I know it is a number of days old forum but I want to know that have you succeeded with stellar to get your data back because I also think to opt for it. Kindly suggest.

6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

try easeus recovery tool, pulled down most of my fried files off a broke hdd, and on a more not serious note, your not going to have a big bill for a hard drive spinning for days :rolleyes:

7. Mez

Mez Active member

You might look for a sector fixer. I don't know if they still make this type of software. I have an old seagate utility that would read a sectors multiple times until it was sure the reading was accurate then write it back a few thousand times. This takes forever but it can recover a disk.

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

use a hiren disc and the hard drive regenerator to clean up bad magnetic sectors
    this may help your recovery
    getdatabackis another date recovery software that is pretty reliable

kyran