1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Revcovery - Super Slow

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pufff, Sep 8, 2014.

1. pufff

pufff Member

I've got 2.5 HDD that has pretty much died. I've had some luck with Stellar phoenix trying to recovery it but it's barely reading the sectors. It's so slow it. I let it run 24hrs a day for about 4 days and decided to cancel. That was just to scan the drive, the recovery took a few more days after that.

The drive is spinning but then will spin down. This goes on and on. Its reading about half a second of information every 10 seconds.

I don't know if anything can be done other than letting it run 24hrs a day for the next few months and have a massive power bill. Anyone have any ideas to another solution? Thanks

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

getdataback ntfs is what i use when i require a deeper scan if recuva's fast scan can't help,can't tell you where to get it for free & if & when you do you need to be careful it's not got a virus included with it,tho the comments should tell you or the member rating

ok how long it takes is determined by size of drive & speed,it's quicker if installed into the comp & not run from usb,HOWEVER by your post it sounds like the hdd electrics are fritz'd; there should be NO spin down i would only expect that if the drive is not working correctly & by the sounds of it no software recovery will work,however getdataback does have a window which shows the action & files being found,kinda like a stop watch,so if there's an issue with the drive it will most probably show as the reading bytes slow & speed up as it should read uniformly if that makes sense

3. pufff

pufff Member

Yeah I think the HDD electrics are gone too. I've tried a few recovery software's already like Recuva, R-studio and the one you suggested and nothing gets past the scan process other than Stellar Phoenix. Even then, it's just too slow. It would take months to fully scan it.

I think it's time to say goodbye to this HDD.
    Thanks for the feedback

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Large disks with massive amounts of data confuse data recovery. I had a disk with only a little more than 1.5 T data that bamboozled the scan process. How valuable is the information on the disk?

5. pufff

pufff Member

This is a 500gb drive. I have larger drives that only takes a couple of hrs to fully scan. But they were not damaged like this one.
    It did have some important things on it but I can live with that if it's gone. Life goes on. Ha ha

6. Putty Nene

Putty Nene Newbie

Why dont you call Stellar for helping you out. I think if they are providing such softwareS may be they can better guide you.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

won't do any good if can't access info with any data recovery software.