1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD upgrade help (without FTP)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by ossified, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ossified

ossified Member

Hi! Im a noob obviously and read lots of posts regarding HDD upgrade, just want to clarify some things.

Heres what I have:

xbox v.1
    Modchip - SST 49LF020

I got the xbox preowned, I got it without the evoX slayers dashboard. I installed evoX myself (with afterdawn tutorials of course) which is the one running currently. Im planning to put 250GB or 120GB on my xbox for games and movies and stuff like that.

I just want to know if I can upgrade it without FTPing. Unfortunately thats not an option for me so please help. Im also aware that my hardware is old. lol. I have read the chimp tutorial wherein you just swap the HD, loosening the stock HD IDE. Im not sure if thats possible with my modchip.

Thanks everyone! and im so glad theres still lots of people with good old xbox.

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

go download the slayer disc (bittorent), or aid disc.

then first put the new harddrive (unformatted and all, just new out of the box...) into your xbox. then power the xbox, open the tray and put the slayer (or aid) disc into the xbox's dvd player. then close the tray and reboot. then your xbox will boot directly from the slayer disc and you have the option to rebuild upgraded hdd. rebuild it, and you are done (all data on the harddrive will be lost). no need to hassle with swapping, chimp or ftp.

but, you have to boot from the modchip. if you boot from the modchip, it will let you run the slayer disc without a problem

3. ossified

ossified Member

Thanks man, Ill try that, but would my modchip be compatible with HDD's above 120GB? And if it dont go well, can I just switch back to my old harddrive and it would work again.

BTW, I already have slayers 1.27 on dvd.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

compatibility is not an issue, if you boot off a modchip you DON'T have to LOCK the harddrive, a modchip can boot an unlocked drive just fine. only the original MS bios needs to have a locked harddrive. a few days ago i put in a 160 gig harddrive for a friend, no problems at all. my own xbox is running with a 200 and 250 gig. no problem, no data corruption at all!

and yes, if you take the stock drive out your xbox and leave it as it is. you can always put that harddrive back. then it will boot fine from that harddrive.

i'm not sure about revision numbers of the slayer disc, but just try it. put in a new harddrive, put the slayer disc in and boot the slayer disc.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

3.4 3.5 and 3.6 are pretty much identical. Mainly the apps were updated that's all... and please don't muck about with config magic.. in fact don't even install it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  6. ossified

ossified Member

Thanks guys, ill try it. Ill just post back if theres any issues.

Thanks much!