1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable question

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by AngryWite, Dec 30, 2007.

1. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

Can an HDMI cable really affect the color and darkness of a DVD? I have an HDMI cable (Monster Cable 500HD Standard Speed 2.23 Gbps) going from my dvd player (Samsung dvd-r155) to my tv (Sharp Aquos LD-46D62U) and the picture varies depending which dvd i play. The picture from satellite is fine and stable.

2. philzone

philzone Regular member

hdmi is a digital connection, so really there should be no effect there. the info either gets there, or it doesnt.
    What it does do tho, is depend on your tvs digi to analog conversion. If your tv has shitty dac, then you might have better quality using component inputs.(cuz u would b using the players dac)
    Do you have menu options on the tv to "auto brighten", or something else like that? also, many players and tvs "upscale" when using a high bandwidth connection. My opinion is that its a gimmick, and is unneeded, as dvd max res is 480p. upscaling can not improve quality, in fact, too much processing can degrade the picture. or just make weird shit happen(like whats happening to you)
    Try setting both devices to 480p, and see if that helps. if no, then try component inputs. no need to mortage your house on a set of cables, just use decent composite cables for now.
    Please let me know how you make out

3. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

thanks phil. how do i find out my tv's dac?

my tv has an opc setting(auto adjusts the brightness) but i have that set to "off".

i'll try setting the dvd player to 480 and see what happens. in the meantime can you answer the dac question? much appreciation. thanks

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

FYI...

1) No, HDMI shouldn't affect the brightness of your picture (especially on only one source). Buy well built interconnects they will last you longer and in most cases perform better.

2) HDMI is all digital, there is no need for DACs with Digital TVs (all tvs except CRT based sets).

3) Upscaling can improve picture but the benefits of it are only as good as the video processors inside the source and display devices. If the video processors are bad then yes the picture can actually be worse. Excessive video processing is also typically a bad thing (yet rarely a problem).

Ced

5. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

diabolos, i appreciate your response but can you "dumb it down" a bit for me. i don't exactly know what you're talking about.

6. philzone

philzone Regular member

digital tv does still convert to analog. goggle it...
    i have never seen an example of upscaling being better. to me, its always a bit off

7. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

so basically, it wasn't worth it to buy the upconverter dvd player? I should stick with my old dvd players?

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That depends.

Some people make good stuff (with high end components) others make junk. That's the way things always have been. Just because it says it's an upconverter doesn't mean much.

Some info on the Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player:

When I hooked the Oppo up to an LG plasma the differences were much clearer. The upscaled picture looked sharper and punchier when scaled to the plasma’s native 720p resolution. Edges looked smoother and details more realistic. The Oppo also did a better job of upconverting than Sony’s PlayStation 3 (after its latest firmware update). I then hooked it up to a Optoma 1080p projector and ran the Oppo output to 1080p. Here again the improvement was more pronounced particularly because that projector didn’t include as good a processing engine.

The Oppo 981HD is no high definition player, but it does make your standard DVDs look much better on high resolution displays. If you want the best out of your disc collection but don’t want to try HD DVD or Blu-ray yet, this is definitely worth trying. If you have an HDTV, particularly a new 1080p and you don't think your DVDs look as good as you expected them to, then this will probabaly work out well for you.

But these are expensive units.

9. philzone

philzone Regular member

I guess looks "better" is a relative term. if it looks better to you, than its better. I was only stating an opinion from a couple experiences i had. but you know what they say about opinions...

@angrywite, did you try any of this stuff out? did it help yer picture out? i am interested to hear yer results.

10. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

the component wires give me a much better picture as far as color and brightness, however, the picture is not as sharp. over all, i like it better tho and will stick with the component hook up from my dvd recorder.

as for the upconvert dvd player, i think its going back. i can't get a decent picture from that thing. i'll go back to my sony dvd player and keep the samsung recorder.

will i have the same picture quality problem with the hdmi cable when i upgrade to hd dtv?

is 480i the best quality i can get from component video cables? i really would like to get the max production out of my tv since that's what i paid for.

11. philzone

philzone Regular member

component will support up to 1080i. Some machines wont do it tho. depends on yer hardware. try it out

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Maybe, but in the real world the fear of unauthorized copying becomes the limiting factor with component.

Component output standard DVD players are progressive, 480p.

13. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

i returned both samsung dvd players and purchased the sony RDR-GX355 recorder and upconverter. the hdmi cable picture looks like crap as usual and i only get 480p from the component cables. i'm not satisfied with the picture. i don't know what to do anymore! i spent $2000 on a tv and can't get what i want out of it. sugestions?????

also, do video stabilizers burn out or not work with certain dvd players?

14. philzone

philzone Regular member

does the new player only support 480p in component hook up? most players will do up to 1080i.
    at least you eliminated dvd player as the culprit. leaves only the tv or the cable. it is very possible to get a bunk cable. Have you gone through every single tv setting?
    if yes, yes, mabey call for support. perhaps the tv is screwed.
    its a fairly popular tv, and when googled, no one else is complaining.
    I would try a different cable, go thru EVERY setting on the tv. if no luck, definitely contact sharp, or retail distributor. you should totally be able to utilize the hdmi.

15. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

on the new player the setting is unchangeable when using component but it's set to 720. problem is, its only oputting 480 to the tv.

16. philzone

philzone Regular member

Bastards...

17. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

Lol. that doesn't help me. I'll never not buy sony again!

18. Cigarafi

Cigarafi Member

I have my satellite company coming on wed to install my hd receiver, my tv only has 1 hdmi input and 1 component video input, they say that the quality of the signal will be the same either way. is that true? should i have them install my satellite using the hdmi input, or the component video input?. Should i use the hdmi for the hd dvd player i'm planing on buying?

19. philzone

philzone Regular member

have them hook it up hdmi, then when you get the hd dvdplayer, use the hdmi cable for that.

20. Cigarafi

Cigarafi Member

thank you philzone