1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cables. Monster or monoprice.com???????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mikej3131, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

just wondering what i should be looking for when buying a HDMI as i am getting a 46 lcd flat panel samsung in a week with dual hdmi. Ok now is what is the best (silver plated, gold plated, or tin plated?) what are ferrite cores and do i need these with hdmi cables?

Does monoprrice.com make good hdmi cables? i see they have four different kinds(High-Quality 22AWG HDMI Cables, High-Quality 24AWG HDMI Cables, 28AWG HDMI Cables, 26AWG HDMI Cables w/ built-in Equalizer). What is the difference between these awg's, and what is the built in equalizer for and will i benefit from it?

What about monster cable hdmi's?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Gold plated is normally the right choice since it doesn't rust over time. But to be technical, the cable metal should be the same as the connector port metal on the devices the cable is connecting. Its a chemical thing.

I don't know anything about monoprice.com but AWG stands for [bold]American Wire Gauge[/bold]. That means the lower the number the thicker the cable. Thicker normally suggests that there are several layers of shielding (Foil and/or Braid) that reduce Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) which is what you want!

Monster is a name brand but is by no means the best or for that matter a high-end A/V cable maufacture. They make good cables but they cost way to much. I use Acoustic Reseach (AR) Pro II and Master Series cables instead. AR offers much more "Bang for the buck" for me.

Its a gimmick. Period. Belkin sells something like that aswell.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
  3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Ok i think im gonna go with acoustic research hdmi cables. i found two different ones. the pr186 pro II and the pr-185 pro II. Which one is better? is audiodiscounters.com or electronicsoutfitter.com reputable sources to buy these cables from? im asking because i saw these same cables for 35 dollar each at these websites

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I believe one is a 3ft and the other is a 6ft cable, they are of the same caliber.

I don't know anything about internet stores.

Ced