1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI not working on my Denon 2807 AMP?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by 70MM, Jul 1, 2006.

1. 70MM

70MM Member

Ive changed my 3805 Denon to the 2807 so I can have the HDMI switching, but I have wasted a complete day trying to get the HDMI to work!!!!

All the equipment is HDCP and Im using my existing Denon 3910 player.

I can get the Component to HDMI to work at 480/576p and thats when the player is set to HDMI /DVI off. So it is only upscaling component to HDMI.

Its when I switch the player to HDMI to play at 720p I cant get a picture at all!
    In this mode I cant get anything, 480/576p, 720p or 1080i.
    This is driving me CRAZY! I have tried every possible setting and just cant get it to do the handshake!

If I plug the HDMI directly to the Projector without going through the AMP all works perfectly!

Anyone had similar problems and what can I do to get it to work???

Its really driving me NUTS!!

Hope someone out there has a FIX for me.

Thanks in advance

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

We have a member with a 3806 with HDMI; I will PM him and ask him if he can help; I too have a 3805 so I can't answer your question.

3. 70MM

70MM Member

many thanks I will wait on him.

4. seang1973

seang1973 Member

Just wondered if you noticed a drop in performance when you changed from the 3805 to the 2807?

I can get a second hand 3805 for less than a new 2807. HDMI control would be nice but not essential for me at this stage.

Would appreciate your views if you have the time.

Thanks

Sean.

5. 70MM

70MM Member

Ive got the HDMI and everything else working on the 2807 now! and its great to finally have the HDMI switching! That for me makes it so much better than the 3805! I really love this AMP and think its better than the 3805!

6. efaillace

efaillace Member

I have similar setup issues with my newly purchased Denon AVR 2807 (Black screen, no sound with HDMI set @ 720p), this time with a DVD 2910 ported via HDMI1 IN to the receiver (I have no problem whatsoever with my Dishnetwork VIP622 DVR ported via the HDMI2 IN). Currently my fix is via the Component directly into the monitor and 6 RCAs into the receiver (EXT IN mode), but would much rather do it all via HDMI. I realize I can go DVD component out ---> AVR component in ----> AVR HDMI out and do upscaling/single cable to the monitor that way, but I thought I'd would try to see first WHY I can't get this setup to work.

Your solution (whatever you did to get HDMI switching to work) might work for me as well. Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I know that your denon will have assignable optical or coax ... surely your dvd player has optical or coax outputs; if you're only using the 6 rca to the external ins, you're not using those awesome Burr-Brown processors and decoders for which Denon is so well known!

I too use the 6 rca's to the ext in of my Denon 3805 (a year before HDMI :( I have the two channel analog going to the the TV itself so that I don't constantly have to use the avr and I have optical from the DVD player to the 3805. I do the same with my cable box ... two channel analog from box to TV and optical from cable box to Denon AVR. It leaves me the option whether with cable or DVD player to use or bypass the avr. My dvd player upconverts to 1080i so I have it connected directly to the TV.

I have both the optical connected to the AVR as well as the six RCAs connected to the ext ins but they're not really interchangable. On REALLY GOOD high budget movies where a lot of work went into recording those six seperate channels which those six rca's carry, the sound can be awesome (like the starwars flicks, saving private ryan .... high budget movies) I prefer the sound of the six rca's connected via external inputs .... for others, I prefer digital optical or coax. I guess my point is that the two are not interchangable; one can sound better than the other depending on what your watching.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2006
  8. efaillace

efaillace Member

I am considering the digital audio connection (either optical or coax) from the DVD to the AVR, but I also have some DVD-Audio discs which would still require the 6 RCAs if I can't get my HDMI switching to work (in any case, the HDMI switch SHOULD be able to process digitally encoded DVD-Audio and DVD-Vido sound and images to the receiver, but it currently does neither). I also would still need to keep the 6 RCAs if I ever get any SACDs to play from the DVD 2910, given that SACD audio cannot be passed through HDMI 1.1.

Going back to my HDMI switching issues... I have tried all sorts of menu setup options, but to no avail. First thing I did was change the default HDMI out on the DVD from 2 Channel to Multi (Normal, no LPCM), thinking this would do the trick. I also tried multiple combinations of HDMI video output (RGB, etc...) at 720p. I am trying to keep it all at 720p because that is my Projector/Monitor's native resolution.

Any ideas?

9. matash78

matash78 Guest

I have a problem with the hdmi switching on my new 2807. I can not get it to accept a video signal from my samsung using a dvi to hdmi cable. I also can not get video from my new direct tv hd-dvr box via hdmi. The audio comes through the cable but no picture just a bright blue screen. If I plug each of them directly into my tv (new SONY KDS-R60XBR2)using the same cables everything works great. The problems has to be with the software or is there something I am doing wrong. I tried turning the receiver on first then the component second and the tv last. The upconverting using component cables and then hdmi out of the receiver works great but I would like hdmi switching.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and help my insomnia!!!!!

10. mmiranda

mmiranda Member

Any news on the solution to this problem? I have the exact same issue regarding HDMI switching. The video signal from my Denon DVD-2910 works perfectly with connected directly to the TV (HDMI up-converted to 720p), but if I connect it to the Denon AVR-2807 (HDMI1), I can get no video signal out of the receiver's HDMI out (and I did assign HDMI1 to the DVD source). I'm using the 6 RCA cables as well for audio, and that works perfectly. I have other analog cables connected to the composite and component inputs in the receiver, and there is no problem to output those video signals trough the HDMI out connection, so the problem is indeed with HDMI switching.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

11. matash78

matash78 Guest

No news on how to fix the hdmi switching problem yet. I hope to get something out of Denon soon.

12. mauros

mauros Member

Same problem for me.

Denon dvd 1920 + denon amp 2807 + vpr Optoma won't work

I have update the dvd firmware to 1.4 without success

13. mauros

mauros Member

I have found this on another forum:

The problem is that HDMI devices should have a flag test system, which asks three big questions: Are you HDCP compliant? Are you a display? Are you an inbetween device.

So a source like a PC with a HDMI card or some boxes may only ask the first 2 questions so the device is perfectly fine when connected directly but the minute you put a HDMI repeater in you get a problem be it a denon amp or standalone box.

The above also applies to PC DVI-D video cards beacuse they were designed to work direct to the display or monitor.

14. efaillace

efaillace Member

The issue of the two vs three flag test questions makes some sense, but not in the context of the HDMI compliant DVD player being a Denon. Would Denon not understand that a standard configuration would be Denon HDMI DVD Player --> Denon HDMI Receiver --> HDMI Display? In this sense, my Dish DVR is at least smart enough to ask the three questions, but not smart enough to take full advantage of the HDMI device's potential capabilities. The DVR only ports HD video and stereo audio to the receiver (or the display unit, if directly ported). To get 5.1 out of the DVR, I still have to use an optical/coax cable...

This also begs the question... If the 2807 Receiver is NOT the problem, but the problem is with my 2910 DVD Player, has anyone tried to plug in a 2910 DVD Player into another Denon Receiver (or other brand) to see if HDMI switching worked (I know, probably should check a different DVD-related thread)? If the problem truly resides in the DVD Player not asking the third HDMI-flag question, it would also NOT work with ANY other HDMI-switching receiver.

15. mauros

mauros Member

I have tried my Playstation3 + AVR 2807 + Vpr Optoma and the HDMI switch work great. Note that PS3 have HDMI 1.3 and it work anyway. The video passes through the switch. Audio is processing by the receiver.
    But I can't try dvd1920 to another receiver.....

16. mauros

mauros Member

The problem is the DVD player.

I have tried to set the HDMI port of 2807 amp to "TV" and now video pass throught the HDMI switch !!!!
    .....but I have got to set the input audio to optical for listen the 5.1 channel.

Audio 5.1 and video on HDMI is non possible with denon player 1920 2910 and 3910. With playstation3 audio and video work great together , I can select dolby digital, DTS and PCM multichannel !!!