1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI out from PC to TV (Sony Vaio PC)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Neuromods, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, top of the line model with a Blu ray RW. I copied Live Free or Die Hard from a Blu Ray disc and Transformers off an HD disc using a HD RW. Both of these movies play perfectly with working menus on my PC using an older version of Power DVD. However, once I connect the HDMI out from my PC to my TV and try to play them it don't work.

When I say it don't work, I don't mean nothing shows, this is really weird actually. I can see my PC screen on the TV and when I load a fully copied movie it plays fine on the PC screen, however on my TV Power DVD shows just a black screen. I'm not understanding why?! Other movies such as DVD's and DivX play just fine and show up. How can I fix this? I wanna be able to watch these on my projector or TV with HDMI.

2. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

i dunno ho wu try but
    u have to hook up ur laptop to ur hdtv as amonitor and then try

thats one option
    i wonder how u connect ur lapto to tv with both on
    try both off and see if it works

3. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

With my Sony you are able to connect it with HDMI out, it shows on the PC and TV screen or you can just choose the TV. I have tried both and still picture won't show on Power DVD using the TV. I think it may be the power DVD version.

I tried NIN on blu ray, plays fine on the PC screen and also won't show on the TV.

4. Speedy2

Speedy2 Guest

I have an Acer Ferrari 5000 and it works great. When I hook up the HDMI cable it clones my pc screen to the tv automaticallly. Then I just increase the resolution and make the tv my main display and disable the pc. If your hardware isn't HDCP complient then you may run into problems. I would suggest getting AnydvdHD from slysoft which will remove the need for HDCP and may fix your problem. They have a trial version you can download before purchasing.

5. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

Didn't work, AnyDVD didn't fix the problem.

Blu Rays plays fine on the PC screen and on the TV Power DVD is a black screen but I can see all other PC icons just fine. Other files plays on my TV fine like .TS, MKV,AVI.. Just blu ray don't show on my TV screen.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

PowerDVD will only display HD content on one screen, the primary display. You'll need to make the HDTV the primary display.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

why then doe's other files work? I don't get it they are HD to

8. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Neuromods
    I see you haven't heeded another mods advice to edit the language out of your sig. So time for a break.
    Please make sure your sig is corrected upon your return.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

lol, that sucks, now we have to wait until the 14th to see whether or not this resolved his issue.

10. binkie7

Yeah but rules and rules and if you choose to ignore a warning well then you give the mods no choice - sigh.

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, but I had been talking to that guy this morning and I could of swore that I never saw his sig. I had seen what you are referring today a few days ago but, I hadn't seen it this morning. Did you edit it before you banned him?

12. binkie7

Yep - I cleared the sig. It was the exact same one that Neph had warned them on yesterday.

13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yupo, you're right! I knew it was only a matter of time, he lasted longer then I thought he would...lol.

14. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

Well anyways, I am back after my erm... Ban

I had asked in another post when I was warned on how to change it because I haven't used the forum in years and forgot how. Kinda weird that I have had that on for years and even back then when I posted nothing was said. Either way, sorry and I figured out how to change it.

Thanx to laddyboy my problem was solved. I am able to play the movies on my TV perfectly. So thanks for the help!

15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome.

16. morgandy

morgandy Member

Help me out here folks, I'm having the same issue and want to understand the work arounds better.

My setup..

1) Sony Vaio, Blu-Ray drive, HDMI port
    2) connect it to Sharp HD tv, HDMI port
    3) everything plays wonderfully, the tv as the computer monitor, playing regular movies in the drive, etc.., UNTIL, I try to play a blu-ray disc.

Can any of you just exactly itemize what I can do to just play a bloody movie off my PC to my tv using a $135 cable!?!?? WHAT is the point of all these devices having BD's, HDMI ports, expensive cables, etc.. etc.., and not allow them to work!??!(yes, this whole crock has me steaming!). I understand there is copy protection deal (H-whatever the acronym), but I bought these movies, and want to view them on my tv, through my computer, with a good cable!

So it seems like there are some workarounds, but I can't follow everything you all said in this thread.

thx.. :>)

17. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I don't know whether it'll work for a laptop or not since I've never tried it before with HD on a laptop but here goes.

Some laptops have a function key that serves as the toggle between different monitor modes, i.e., laptop monitor only, External display only, both displays. Toggle the mode so you have external display only; the laptop should not be displaying anything. Then insert your BD disk and startup the playback software. Hopefully that'll work.

18. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

That's right, make it so only your TV has a picture and not the laptop. Then it shall work and play fine on your TV, PowerDVD can't play Blu rays on 2 screens.

19. morgandy

morgandy Member

THANK YOU!!!!! I have spent HOURS on chat and support calls with Sony about this. The menu options to use the external connected tv weren't working. I didn't even think of the dang funtion key to switch.

Maybe one of you can then answer this next question? I have PDVD Ultra (as of this morning -Windvd crashed/burned and couldn't be reinstalled). There are instructions to get screen captures / click for a still shot, but, I cannot find the little icon that does that anywhere on any of the control modules. Do you guys know where it is or what it looks like? I have eveything set up to capture to .bmp's, the directory to save to, etc...

thx!!!!

20. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

On my copy, it's the third button from the right on the PDVD control block. The icon on the button looks like a camera. I think the shortcut key is C.