1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Out to TV, no sound, alternatives?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by myksterx, Jan 16, 2012.

1. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

hi guys,
    i purchased a pc from ebay a few years back and now i am about to use it as a media centre.
    i found that the video card used nvidia gt 9500gt does not transfer audio down it (*)

(*) the reason it doesnt transfer audio is the motherboard doesn't have a slot for the little wire from the graphics card to connect into, therfore it wont transfer the audio down the hdmi! (*)

now, i am unsure if anything can be done to modify or make this HDMI send audio down, if it can, could someone let me know?

otherwise, what is the alternative?

the tv its connecting to is a LG 37", the back of the TV i noticed Audio RGB/DVI in, it looks like a connector you would use in a car (AUX in?) would this work alongside a HDMI lead to provide audio?

2. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

ps:

N68-S ASROCK MOTHERBOARD
    AND
    NVIDIA 9500GT GRAPHICS CARD

i have my pc currently hooked up to tv via DVI -> HDMI plugged into the 9500gt

i have just dug the wire out of the graphics card box (that im assuming connects to the audio to allow audio to pass through the hdmi)

its a small skinny wire that connected into th graphics card (into a small white box type connector)

then 2 wires come off it, BLACK and RED (black clearly states Ground (GND))
    the red one has no writing on it.

where would these connects to?

3. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

ok i found why it isnt coming through the graphics card.

the motherboard doesnt have an internal SPDIF to connect to.
    is there any other method i could use?
    as i really need the sound to come through the TV to use it as a media centre that i wish to ..

will using a 3.5mm aux lead from the "Speaker" slot in the PC to the TV work?

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You mean external S/PDIF output I hope.

Don't give up on the HDMI quite yet. There must be a valid reason why you do not have HDMI audio out. It could be a number of things.. Diver software, wrong audio configuration or a bad cable.
    Troubleshoot one thing at a time starting from ground zero.

A 3.5 MM output will only give you two channel stereo.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  5. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

hi mate, thanks for the reply.
    no i actually mean an internal spdif header.

apparently, my 9500gt needs a wire (which i have) to connect internally inside the case to the motherboard, which will then allow audio to be sent to the graphics card and then output from the hdmi port on the graphics card.

now, i am not the best when it comes to newer technology on computers, i stopped building them years ago, however i purchased this one pre-built from ebay, i am baffled as to why they chose this board with this card knowing the wire doesnt connect internally, therefore not getting the full use of the graphics card (even though its only the audio not coming through)

drivers wise the computer is setup perfectly, done all the checks etc and used a number of different hdmi leads, im pretty sure its something to do with the wire i cannot connect internally...

im really dis-heartened due to now wanting to get rid of my PC Desk and monitor and wanting to simply connect up to my TV and use it for XBMC like my Revos in all of the other rooms, i hope someone could assist