1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI overriding Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by LeoJames, Apr 6, 2007.

1. LeoJames

LeoJames Member

When I hook my Phillips DvD Player, model DVP5960 to my Samsung DLP HL-S5086W using component cables, my Yamaha HTR-5960 AV REceiver displays and plays Dolby Digital, but when I use the hook up through a HDMI connection, it will only display Pro Logic. In both hook ups, I connect the DvD player to the receiver via a Digital Coaxil Cable. When I have the receiver set to DvD audio playback, and my T.V. to a different source (ex: Cable) the receiver also plays Dolby Digital, but when I switch the T.V. to the HDMI Source, it cuts out to Pro Logic.

How can I get my receiver to pick up Dolby Digital, and also be connected to the T.V. via HDMI.

2. capu57

capu57 Member

Dont buy a phillips just kidding try going into the setting of the DVD player and check to see what the audio out put is and see if there is a setting having to do with HDMI Audio out

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Since the HDMI isn't going through the receiver, it really shouldn't do what you're saying. It has to be a setting somewhere in the dvd player's setup menus, to let the player know that the audio isn't being used through the HDMI.

Since HDMI carries both audio and video, the player's default settings are probably set to bypass the digital coax, when an HDMI cable is hooked up to it. I'm not that familiar with Phillips equipment. I'd carefully double check the owner's manual for the player, and see what it says about it. If you can't figure it out, call or email Phillips.
    Good luck!