1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Question from Newbie

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by delerue, Aug 7, 2008.

1. delerue

delerue Guest

I just purchased a Denon 788 AV receiver and tried to hook it up to my Denon 757 DVD/CD player via an HDMI 1.3 cable and it did not work, i.e. no sound. My Denon DVD/CD player is 1.1 HDMI-friendly so could that be the reason? I thought new HDMI versions are backward-compatible?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight!

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

some cheaper units hdmi might only be video only,do u have optical or dig.out on both units,are there hdmi inputs in menu to select settings?

3. delerue

delerue Guest

I bought it off Vortex via Amazon.com for $2 and it got good reviews from other buyers. I do have optical out on the DVD/CD player and the HDMI input was properly set on the AVR to go to AMP and not to TV. The only thing I can think of is that I got a bad cable and I remember the word "LOW" on the plastic bag containing the cable.The brand is 2M made by Inspire Audio.

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

what i meant was some receivers might only give u hdmi video and u need to use extra cable like optical,i think i had same issue with dvd player with hdmi no audio so i added a dig.out to amp it worked.
    on the high end receivers hdmi sends video and audio.

5. delerue

delerue Guest

The Denon 788 does allow both audio and video to go through so I suspect that I have got a defective cable :(

6. cactikid

cactikid Active member

but does ur receiver??????? that is why u need optical,u can try changing it ,as hdmi cables i buy i pay euro60 -120 pricey hey.

7. delerue

delerue Guest

The DVR 788 is pretty sophisticated and it does allow digital in. Actually it worked fine with the optical link :)

8. cactikid

cactikid Active member

ah good sound,when i went to buy my receiver they mentioned a slight differance in lower and higher end just needing hdmi,well anyway ur sorted now,and u might get 5-1 sound