1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI question

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by XbrvhrtX, Feb 24, 2011.

1. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX Member

Hi Guys

Hope you can help out, after much moaning our TV is finally going on the wall, this now causes me a little prob when it comes to space as of this moment i built what can be described in the loosest terms a home theater PC basically its just an iCube case with a hard drive stuffed with movies,I connect the cube to the VGA socket on my TV as well as audio via the 3.5mm jack output from the on-board sound to the TV also, no amps or anything like that, so......

to gain space i was going to upgrade my normal PC with this Board which has HDMI output, now correct me if I'm wrong but this will also carry sound so I'm just down to one cable from my main PC to the TV as I have a spare HDMI socket on my TV and also can you advise if cable length will have an affect looking at about a 10mtr HDMI lead to keep it tidy. I would prefer to go down this route rather than a long VGA cable and audio lead trailing around my livingroom.

Another point I'm not to clear on is if I have both my PC monitor in the VGA port(D-sub) and the HDMI cable connected to the TV at the same will one output over-ride the other or will I have the same display on both monitor and TV at the same time??

After wondering about this I also wondered if there is any software mainly some sort of movie player like powerDVD or WMP that will allow me to select what output it uses for example watch a movie on the TV while still able to use the PC as per normal, I guess this is a wish to far but i wont know unless i ask lol

Thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Johnnie

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a pc hardware issue.

3. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

HDMI typically carries video and sound. I don`t think an HDMI cable coming from a computer will have both sounds because on a computer the sound and the video is typically output via separate cards or sections of the motherboard. This will depend on that capability of your video card as to if sound will be transmitted along with the video on one cable.

When you setup a dual display system you can choose to either clone where you show the same thing on both screens or your can extend the desktop and have it span between the two screens. In Windows you get to select displays as being primary and secondary. If your video card doesn`t support dual display than one monitor can be viewed at a time.

The last time I have dual display I was using Windows XP. When I used Windows Media Player on full screen it would fill one monitor and you could make it go onto either monitor. I also used a program called Ultramon to mange the dual display.

With a dual display setup you definitely will be able to show a movie on one monitor and surf the web or something on the other monitor. I have always figured that it would not work out too well though.