1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Surround Sound Question

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by chipperja, Nov 1, 2006.

1. chipperja

chipperja Member

Alright, I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, sorry if I confuse any of you. I want to setup my dvd player with a HDMI cable, and also get the surround sound. My surround sound receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs or outputs. So my question is, if I run a HDMI cable from my dvd player to my tv, then run the red and white RCA cables from my TV's audio out to my receivers audio in, will the surround sound be decoded properly? Any help is appriciated and Ill clearify anything if needed. Thanks!

2. chipperja

chipperja Member

Or I guess would it be a better idea to run the hdmi to the tv, and run optical from the dvd straight to the receiver. would that work?

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LOL....just read your second post....yes to optical or coax going to your AVR / red and white are analog. )If however you have a 5.1 aurround through the 6 rca plugs (one for each channel .1 is the sub) those are indeed worth connecting despite all the cables as it's a whole different ballgame encoded on your DVDs; would connect to the "external inputs" of your AVR.

Optical: the little plastic bulbs come off first

[​IMG]

coax sound (has orange stripe)

[​IMG]

I had to set mine up the same way. My TV and upconverting oppo use hdmi/dvi but my AVR doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
  4. chipperja

chipperja Member

So you're saying if I dont have the 6 rca's for the sound, use optical?

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

No, sorry, use the optical or the coax, they will use the decoders that you have in your AVR. But [bold]IF[/bold] your DVD player has six RCA analog outputs (some do and some don't) you want to connect them too...both the optical [bold]AND[/bold] the six RCAs labeled Front R, Front L, Rear R, Rear L, center, and sub. The optical or coax as well as the six RCA analogs. The following is the back of a DVD player; you'll see the six analog which I've circled (not all DVD players have these)as well as the optical OR coax:

[​IMG]

The optical or coax will be decoded by the AVR. The six RCAs analogs will be decoded (for lack of a better term) by the DVD player. You see, some of the better quality DVDs and CDs will be encoded with six totally seperate channels in analog ... one for each speaker. Its extremely expensive to do so no all DVDs and CDs have it. When you want to use it this way (assuming both your DVD and AVRs have these six analog plugs...again, not all don't) it will bypass the AVR's decoders and amplify the six seperate analog signals and it can really be awesome even if you don't use it that often. Big budget movies like the Stars Wars flicks and I particularly liked it in the first twenty mins of Saving Private Ryan was just frigging awesome....better that the optical. I know it's kind of confusing but "5.1" has come to mean different things. If you have both of these, use them both. It's worth the extra cables. Does this make any sense??

If you want, tell me the make and model of your DVD player as well as AVR and I can look them up. It's worth it if you have these connections.

6. chipperja

chipperja Member

Thanks alot for your time, its a big help. Im about to order all my wires, so I wanted to figure out what I needed. It looks like my AVR is a Yamaha HTR-5650 and my DVD player is a Samsung DVD-HD845. Thanks again!

7. chipperja

chipperja Member

Also one more thing, I'm about to hook up a Direct TV HDDVR, is the HDMI and optical the right way to go?

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes, since you'll be connecting the HDMI to the TV ... but how many HDMI inputs does your TV have? Some (like mine, unfortunately!) have only one, in which case you'd likely need to use the three component cables (red, green and blue) from the direct tv box to your TV. Yes, you'd want to connect the optical to the AVR.

I connect the red and white analogs from my units (cable, VCR and DVD)to the TV so that I only have to use the receiver when the sound is important to me and just use the tv volume when watching the news or whatever then I use the red and white analog out of the TV to the red and white "TV in" of the AVR.

You're also going to need just one other RCA cable for the 'monitor out' of your AVR....you see, even if your units are connected via HDMI to the TV directly, the AVRs menus will need to be displayed somehow unless you want to rely on the tiny display on the AVR but I guarantee you'll be pulling your hair out if you do that. Just the very cheapest RCA cable will do just fine...you're only reading menus.

You've got good equipment; let me look it up. You've got an HD DVD player which I'm not familiar with yet...guess its as good a time as any LOL!

What kind of cables are you buying? Please don't let yourself get suckered into buying monster or other brands of rediculously expensive cables. Yes, you want good ones, but don't buy into spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars or even thousands as some do.

9. chipperja

chipperja Member

Once again, you've helped me out alot, sorry I don't respond very fast. Hopefully you check this tomorrow. Everyone has recommended monoprice.com.

Here is the optical I want to buy... http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2&style=

Here is the HDMI I want to buy...
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1024002&p_id=2219&seq=1&format=2&style=

The website seems good and several people from these forums have used them. What do you think?

Also, my tv has 2 hdmi inputs, so I should be ok. I guess since I have ya here, do they make HDMI splitters? so you can add more hdmi cords? I'm just thinking down the road when I get a PS3. Thanks for your time!

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Don't order yet; I believe your DVD player doesn't have the 5.1 analog outputs but it does have optical. I will look directly at the samsung site as I'm getting conflicting information from different sites. Also, don't be fooled by the name of your DVD player, it is NOT an HD DVD player but rather an upconversion which still gives a beautiful picture but it is a standard DVD player, not an HD DHD player. That was a bit deceptive of Samnsung. Will get back.....Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Chipperja

Yeah just like gerry1 stated. I have that exact OPPO DVD player that pictured. ( GREAT PLAYER )

I have my HDMI going from my DVD player to my TV. I have an optical cable going from the DVD player to my receiver. I also have RCA's going from my DVD player to TV, for the times I want to watch a movie w/o surround sound.

Chipperja I'm currently selling a 10 ft. HDMI cable & I do have a 12 ft. optical cable I'm going to sell as well.

Here's my listing for the HDMI.........

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/229165739.html

12. chipperja

chipperja Member

Yeah I dont think it has the 5.1 analog outputs, but it does have the optical. Does that website and those cables look good to you?

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes absolutely. I've not had any dealing with that web site but I'm pretty impressed. Looks like you're all set! The only difference is that I would connect your analogs audios (reds and whites)to your TV (even your vcr if you have one) so that you can use your TV without the Yamaha when you don't really want the and then connect the TVs red and whites to the analog audio in of the amp.

14. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Chipperja

I have ordered from monoprice before. Not bad. You maybe able to find it slightly cheaper on Ebay.

MonoPrice also sells there items on on Ebay also.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006