1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI was Good while it lasted !

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pyzon, Apr 5, 2007.

1. pyzon

pyzon Member

Finally antied up for a Panny DMR-ES46 DVD recorder that up-converts to 720p and was thoroughly enjoying the improved video performance over my Samsung HLP4663 WX TV, but after 2 weeks the Samsung no longer could find the HDMI output from the Panny. I assumed the Panny was the culprit and exchanged it for a new one.

To shorten the story, same problem. Just to make sure my 16' Monster 1000 series cable was not the culprit, I moved the DVD recorder over to the TV to use the el-cheapo 36" HDMI cable that Panasonic included, again no change.

Initially the TV was "searching for HDMI signal", but when I disconnected the HDMI cable, the message switched to "check HDMI cable", so some signal must be getting through, but only a blue screen was visible. Later it switched to a red screen, later green and lastly a horizontally scrambled picture. Weird.

I called for the in-home extended service I was reluctant to purchase from CC, but before they come do you all have any opinions of what might be going on ?

Thanks for any and all help.

Pyzon

2. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

pyzon, What did you pay for that Monster 1000 cable? Next time go to www.monoprice.com and compare. You will be able to buy several excellent cables for the price of that Monster cable.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Did you try unplugging the DVD recorder for a little while so it can reset itself? Seems to me that it has to be your records fault.

Have you tried running a different cable like the yellow (composite video) connection to your TV to see if it is working at all? If the yellow cable works then try seeing if the HDMI port is turned off on the DVD recorder. Is the recorder in VCR mode or DVD mode, I would check your manual to see if the player will use the HDMI port while the VCR mode is active?

Ced

4. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

just for future reference, hdmi cables transmit a digital signal, therefore having that 50 dollar monster cable is pointless because the picture will look exactly the same if you use a el cheapo 3 dollar hdmi cable from ebay, so long as it can effectively transmit the signal.

return the monster cable and just use the hdmi cable that came with it.

5. pyzon

pyzon Member

Thanks for the tips, diabolos, but like I mentioned, I swapped DVD players and moved the player also, both of which neccessitated unplugging.

The picture was partially viewable at the end but very scrambled, so I'm convinced the TV HDMI input must be the culprit. The component and other inputs are fine.

Service tech is coming later today, we'll see.

Regards the high priced cable, when it has to stretch 16 feet and reject a lot of other interference issues, why not use the best ?

I could have bought a $750 HD TV and a $50 DVD player but chose not to.

And why talk about what I could have done ? I know I can buy low priced stuff, sometimes I do, sometimes not. But I'm perfectly aware it exists.

Thanks again, diabolos.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I didn't quite understand what you where saying about the moving, I though you moved the DVD player to another tv and the HDMI still didn't work.

If you have done all of that then I would also agree that the tv is the culprit.

About the cables...

My Facts,

Because digital connections like HDMI aren't subject to the same limits as analog cables (i.e. Component Video). Most Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) doesn't effect the performance much. Digital connections have what is called a Bit Error Rate (BER). HDMI has an excellent BER and works great up to about 15 meters (about 50 feet) with most twisted pair cable designs. If the cable does has a braid (fights EMI) and a foil (fights RFI or Radio Frequency Interference) you are in great shape.

My 2-cents,

Monster isn't the best, and they charge more simply because of the braid they put over the jacket of the cable. Monster is known for there audio cables not there video cables. As far as HDMI many engineers have released papers on how Cat-5e Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable can be used to carry an HDMI signal with great success at 25 meters plus. Everyone knows how cheap Cat. 5e UTP cable is.

Ced

7. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Okay this is what i was looking for.So there is no different between monster hdmi or any other cable? What brand do you guys think is the best & send me a link to it please...Thxs

8. pyzon

pyzon Member

Last chapter of this saga-

2 bad DVD players out of 2 !!

Returning it now, no more in stock, we'll see what I end up with !

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I used Acoustic Research which is made by Thompson.

A lot of people at this forum swear by cables at monoprice.com.

Ced

10. pyzon

pyzon Member

Ended up with the new LG model 967 I think.

Works fine so far, end of chapter.

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I would have also recommended Yahmaha, Panasonic, and Harman/Kardon brand players.

Happy the problem got fixed,
    Ced

12. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Please disregard anyone who says any hdmi cable will do. Why is it there are high end cables in just about every type A/V field? It isn't hype that sells them. Walmart does not carry good cables.

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No one said any HDMI will do. We are saying that they need not be expensive to be of good quality. There are requirements for a high quality cable.

This guide does a great job of explaining what a good cable is using a coax cable as an example.

Component Video Cables - The Definitive Guide:
    http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/component-video-cables-the-definitive-guide

Here is an article about HDMI and the truth (Written by a Senior member of the IEEE):
    http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2007/articles20070301-02.html

Ced

14. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Here is what I was commenting on and Monster cable is not quality.

You spend 2k+ on a nice tv only to use $3 cables??

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What if that $100 monster cable only cost the retailer $10 to shelve? Think about it. Like I posted, my point is that HDMI cables that are cheap (price wise) aren't necessarily bad cables that won't meet your expectations for performance.

I typically recommend spending about 10%-15% on cables. With a digital connection you will be buying a more durable cable that will last longer not a better preforming cable. Now analog connections are a different story as they do require excellent build quality and shielding to work as intended.

Ced

16. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I tried 3 different types of cables. I went and bought Monster brand thinking they were quality. I had to exchange it because I thought the first one was faulty, both performed poorly. The one the cable company supplied was lame too. I went down to Magnolia and purchased one there and problem solved. I am not saying that you can't find a low priced cable, just not to buy a cheap quality one. It is like Memosux users. They claim to have no problems but why use something that has the potential to give you a headache.

17. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

Next time go to www.monoprice.com and you will save a bundle, plus the quality is second to none. I just received my 50' HDMI cable today for $58 and on other sites it goes for $299!!!!!

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm glad you had the chance to visit a Magnolia store. Which on did you visit? I can assure you that your experience is rare. Budget HDMI cables do work and last. If they didn't no one would by the expensive cables and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. The only HDMI cable I have ever had a problem with is one that came free in the box with a DVD up-converter. It just wouldn't work properly. Swapped out a $70 HDMI cable and now the customer is happy.

But I do understand the Memorex thing. That's why I use Verbatim. They are the best and they cost only 2-5 dollars more.

Ced

19. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Does anyone know what's after HDMI?

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What do you mean? There is no after HDMI. It is an evolving standard. When new technology comes it can change to handle it. At the moment HDMI is using less than half of its bandwith with 1080p HD content. HDMI was designed to end the confusion. No more proprietary connections.

-Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007