1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xbill, Jan 4, 2008.

1. xbill

xbill Regular member

i just got a 22"wide screen hanns-g monitor with avga&hdmi connections.Best resolution is1680 x1050. the video card i have is a ati rage128 proagp4x.it only has a vga connection.top resolution of 1280x1024' What kind of video card do i have to have for the PC. so i can use the hdmi on the monitor.it dosn't have dvi. i have a dell 4400 , pent 4 .1.6 g,512 mem.i don't use it gaming just watch movies or videos, but would like a good pict.a noob.thanks for any help you can give me on this. xbill

2. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

depending on your price range many of the newer vid cards should be able to support HDMI (such as ATI radeon HD2600)... If you're not looking for gaming, I would think that the most budget cards with HDMI output should be sufficient for you.

On a side note check your Power supply, because alot of the newer cards will require 350-400 watts, and the description of your computer sounds old so it may not be able to handle a new card.

* hmm after some further research I have realized that these HD2000 series vid cards don't have an actual HDMI input. You would need to purchase a DVI to HDMI adapter to have it function. I went to the ATI website, and apparently even their most expensive models do not have a direct HDMI cable output... Note that if you get the adapter, you will lose the audio signal, as DVI is ONLY video...

** I did notice that some of the new video cards say they have an integrated audio solution, but I'm not really sure how that works...

*** I'm assuming that since it is a computer monitor that you purchased, it should be HDCP ready but check the manual and make sure, otherwise your video will be downscaled, or not display properly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  3. xbill

xbill Regular member

My power supply is 250 watts.looking for a low budget card that will get the 1680x1050 resolution. xbill

4. xbill

xbill Regular member

My power supply is 250 watts.looking for a low budget card that will get the 1680x1050 resolution.Thanks for the reply. xbill