1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV 17", Budget:£200

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by billybob, Sep 9, 2006.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'll stay subscribed but i no longer want a 17" HDTV now, i bought a 19" widescreen TFT instead, i don't hardly watch TV anyhow. The monitor only cost me £139, an Acer AL1916WS

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

Niiiiccceee!

I would do just the thing, but the main reasonim getting a tv soon, is because the one i have right now in my room is a "portable" tv vcr comby, and is only mono not stereo (taught me well BW :D), which wont sound as good with my new surround sound that im building together. And i dont want to buy a tv unless its HD, because a new console comes out in april (sigh..the delays) and some of the later games will be in HD, thus needing a HD TV.

Still looking everyone, lol!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Ah, now I understand the HD thing. I'm not into games so it hadn't occured to me.

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

firstly, gerry you realyl are an incredible artist! Your signiture pic! WOW!

Secondly, yeh, the consoles not the main thing, i dont even play games much i just fancied this new one, and i didnt think theres much point in buying a normal tv if im gonna get the console.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@billyboy....thanks for the nice words about my artwork! I love to paint and draw and, if you'll forgive a bit of conceit, I have done some things that are quite nice ... the thing else, for every one success, there were ten that came out like crap and ended up in the trash can LOL! I guess its the same with all artsy disciplines...writing, poetry...whatever. I drew the boats; Ireland added the astronomy. We're going to start an artsy thread somewhere for member artists to post their work...whether painting, drawing, photography ...whatever; we've got some very talented people here ... one is a very good photographer, I'm sure Ireland has a ton of really spectacular work, I've got some paintings and drawings and I'm sure there are all sorts of folks here who are very talented. I think it would be so cool to have a thread where people post their work but we'd have to find a way to get the word out that such a thread exists.

Anyway, I'm writing to say that I received a surprising email today from Fluance Speakers saying that they do indeed ship to the UK ... I was very surprised. So, when the time comes to buy speakers, I'd really give them a good hard look because you'll never find a match for their prices for what you're getting. For example, I heard the following five speaker system which is their cheapest and I was rather impressed ... they're not top of the line to be sure but the sound is quite nice and I can't imagine getting a five speaker package that sounds so good for 107 pounds.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

If their too big, you can construct a matching system for more or less the same amount. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that they do ship to the UK...I don't know the cost though. I still have your address and postal code in my messages; just for the hell of it, I'll ask what it would cost to send this particular package to coventry ... if nothing else, it will give you an idea as to whether or not it would be worth it to buy from them when the time comes and you're ready for speakers. I hope you're well! ... Gerry

By the way, the link if for their main website but it was their ebay US store that said they would ship.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thank you gerry!

Thats perfect! Ill start saving now!

Can you just verify that this one is the same product?

Thats brilliant. They seem to do quiet alot of good stuff! Ha, my mum hates me enough already with these rubbish speakers ive got right now and my new reciever, imagin what she'll be like with them speakers. Hee hee.

About the art thread, that will be great! Not much of an art but now and then i do some good pieces of original writing for literature, and if i get any a* grades ill post um in it if u like :D

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Kiddo! Yep, those are the speakers. Not bad for 107 pounds, eh? I'm a bit concerned because the email they sent me from ebay says yes they'll ship to the uk while another site says no ... but their personal email says yes. I'm a bit confused but I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll also keep an eye out for anything I might happen to come across. I know a lot of pawn shops, thrift stores etc. that frequently come across great deals for peanuts.

Yes, that would be great if you added you writing ... it's still art. It would be neat to have a thread, a serious thread, that showcases individual talents. You know, we help out in the forums and joke around and have fun in various ways but it would be nice to present those talents that make us individuals. I'd like to see something you've written ... email me something you've written sometime.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  8. billybob

billybob Regular member

Sure thing gerry, but it wont be anything special, but my english teacher seems to grade alot of them a* so she thinks its alright lol.

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Maybe she thinks you're cute and irresistable ;-)

10. billybob

billybob Regular member

Understandable i suppose. hee hee.

11. creaky

thought i'd update this one as we were looking for a new tv for the boat; it seems argos do some cheap HD tv's now -

19" Acoustic Solutions £229.99
    19" Acoustic Solutions £249.99 (built-in DVD)

and the one that's caught my eye - a Samsung SM940MW 19" HD tv (pc input is one of the goodies) for £249.99 - am very tempted

12. creaky

update - bought the 19" Samsung SM940MW today, it is simply awesome. Am sat surfing on it now with the TV in a small window (PIP ie Picture in Picture); absolutely beautiful tv, cannot fault it at all, £249.99 from Argos, even got a £10 gift voucher free

13. emachine

emachine Guest

I was hoping to maybe go into the 30in range. It needs to look good with the ps3 and 360. lol I think I have digital cable, but I'm not sure. Anyway yeah. So how much would a 30in run?

14. 3085

3085 Regular member

15. billybob

billybob Regular member

Creaky mate, can i have some links to those tvs you are on about please? Also, do they have built in hdtv tuners? Or are they just hd ready? I just really need some links or something.......iv ebeen looking for ages lol.

I also have a query for now. I was thinking, like that insignia tv that boxwrench showed me and that guy jsut posted the link to, it comes to something like £201 when converted from US dollars.

I considered just buying one of those and getting it sent over from a friend, and buying a transformer for the change of current. However, i hear that the US use a different...format or something? That we in the UK use PAL and in the US they use NTSC or something like that.

Is there a way around that like changing the setting....or any possibility that i could get one to work if i got one sent over?

But yeh, if i could just get some answers to the questions in that essay id be very grateful...LOL!

Dont forget the links of info Creaky, lol catcha later...when i next have some access to the net.

:D

16. creaky

well the one i bought was the Samsung SM940MW, in Argos at £249.99.
    The only thing that's been puzzling me about it, is it's allegedly HD ready. There's zilch in the menu about it, hardly anything out on the net and the proverbial bugger-all in the manuals, supplied or on the net.
    The best i can make out about this particular model is that it's supposed to be simply 720i or 720p for HD ie one of the lower modes. I'm not fussed either way, as it's a real nice TV.

i didn't/haven't posted any links as the Argos links are about a mile long and ruin the page margins on AD, just simply go to www.argos.co.uk and they're fairly easy to find

17. jambooboo

jambooboo Member

The Samsung 940MW handles high definition just fine (I use one with my Xbox 360 and get lovely looking 720p and 1080i via component).

18. creaky

cheers, it's just the adverts are misleading, the manuals/info on the web doesn't say a lot, and was quite surprised to find the tv itself doesn't even say 'HD ready' on the chassis; companies usually making sure to advertise the 'HD' capabilities. But it's a cracking tv

19. billybob

billybob Regular member

Does HD ready mean its built in hdtv....im confused on the whole thing.

Can someone explain to me if there is a difference between built in hd and hd ready? Cause im confused.

Also, could someone shed any light on that querie of mine about the formats? (PAL and NTSC)

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Guess whos back, back for good....and liking the new font formating icons.

But yeh, someone wanna englighten me on my post jsut before this one?