1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV cable connections,

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DVDultra, Jun 7, 2006.

1. DVDultra

DVDultra Guest

Just bought a 50" Magnavox HDTV,DLP,I have Comcast Digital HDTV cable and dont know whats the best connection.I have the regular 10 feet component cables comcast gave me.I bought a 3 Feet THX monster component cable, res.1000.I also bought 6 feet RCA Digital optical component cables.I have the Digital component cables on the HDTV cable box,to the TV,and the THX monster component cables on the DVD player.

The DVD player has great picture Quality,but the Digital cable seems to be,ummm not that good,the HDTV channels are really good,but the regular channels arent that good.Im i not hooking the cables up right on the cable box.Should i switch the Digital and monster cables?

I have a sony Home theater system hooked up,but the all the cables are directly to the TV.Except the Optical,and coaxial.

Does anyone know how to get my Cable picture Quality better.Thank you

2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

The reason they look bad is because there is alot less pixels than on your HD tv and it is probably 4:3 and your tv is 16:9 so that doesent help either. If the HDTV channels look great the poroblem is not with your setup, i suggest watching HDTV and waiting till more tv stations start broadcasting in HD.
    Just my opinion

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  3. DVDultra

DVDultra Guest

Thank you SocomII ,I know what you mean by Less pixels,and it is a 16:9 Ratio.But do you recommend my staying with the Digital component cables,or Monster ?or it doesnt matter?I also been watching the regular channels in a 4:3 ratio,its seems to help picture quality.

So theres nothing i can do?That sucks,ALL CHANNELS SHOULD BE HDTV THEN!!!!!!

4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

I do not see a difference in quality between regular and monster cables though some people claim monster are better, so try it out and see if you see a difference in quality for yourself, but if HDTV looks good i doubt you will get any better with regular channels.

Agreed :)

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The best connection is the HDMI/DVI. I would spend money on a decent HDMI cable instead of an expensive Component Video cable.

Ced

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@DVDultra... did you make the necessary adjustments in the cable box menu? ...not just the TV? Comcast is never clear on how to do it and often the technicians in your home don't really care. Here is how:

1. Make sure your HDTV box had been connected to the cable wire until all the programming is downloaded into the box and you can see the programming when you push "guide" on the remote ... you know, what's playing on what channel.

2. Leave you TV "ON" set to the proper input for cable but

3. Turn HDTV box "OFF".

4. With your cable box turned "OFF" but with your TV turned "ON" push the "setup" button on your comcast remote. Your actions will be obvious from there. Choose the options that will give you the best picture.

You see, you not only have to choose the options on the TV but how the signal box delivers it to your TV.

Regarding your connections, I would do this:

Cable box: 1. component (red blue green) pic to appropriate hi def input on the TV.

2. RCA analog plugs (red and white) to the TV. This is the sound. Connecting the optical wire to your TV is a waste.

3. Optical digital (carries sound only) directly from cable box to AVR audio optical input.

In connecting it this way, you can get sound anytime out of your TV without running the AVR all the time. When You want really good digital sound, use the AVR. Running only a cable from the TV to the AVR WILL NOT give you the sound you want.

DVD PLAYER

1. Depends on outputs. Connect as above if you don't have HDMI on the DVD player. The difference is that your DVD player may or may not have the 5.1 rca cables to connect to your amp. It depends on the DVD player. If you do have the six RCA plugs for the 5.1 (.1 is the sub) CONNECT THEM despite the extra use of cables ... they are NOT the same as what is coming out of the optical ... most people think this is a redundancy, it ISN'T. If you don't fully understand the difference, let us know.

Good Luck ... Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@DVDultra ... if your Comcast box has an HDMI/DVI out, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know; mine does not but it's a year old.

@ced...how are you guy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  8. DVDultra

DVDultra Guest

gerry1 I converted my Cable box to HDTV cable box about 3 weeks ago,and it has a HDMI/DVI ,s-video,component ,ethernet conn.You should prob. call and switch up.

My TV has the highest resolution.
    VIDEO FORMATS:
    -1080i 60Hz
    -720p 60Hz
    -480p 60Hz
    -480i 60Hz
    Cable box is set to 1080i 4:3 overide 480i

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks DVDultra...I will call! That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks again!

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I love when people actually help one another... :)

Ced

11. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

The non-HD stations look crappy on Comcast no matter what tv u use. In fact I think they look worse on an LCD or Plasma is that's posible. Satellite provides a good picture either way so don't blame the cables or the display.

12. DVDultra

DVDultra Guest

I know!!!Im really starting to dislike comcast,My internet was out for 5 days untill they sent out there Tech.Then they said it would take up to 36 hours for them to fix the problem,Its always the same problem,4 times in the last 3 years the connection on the pole goes bad.Instead of fixing the problem long term,they keep short term fixing it.

The Cable stinks,not that many HDTV channels.IM IM REALLY REALLY starting to hate comcast.Im thinking of switching to Direct tv or some other company,also save half the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  13. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

My neighbor (she's kind of a bitch) just called to ask if our Cable was out too. I enjoyed telling her no, we have Satellite.
    Sandy

14. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member