1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV HDMI OUTPUT HELP!

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by streetz08, Dec 8, 2006.

1. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

I have a Sony WEGA KDL-42XBR950 42 in. HDTV LCD Television(http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_WEGA_KDL-42XBR950_42_in_Flat_Panel_Television) bought it about a year ago and dont see a hdmi cable socket on the tv box. I have comcast hdtv and the hd channels are brilliant, i have monster cables in the back connecting to my dvd player(3 color components) and i currently cant find my manuel but will by next week so i need help. BTW DO I have to buy hdmi cables additionally although i have that monster cable connected which are 3 plugs both ways that cant connect to my ps3 like an hdmi/hdmi dvi, i see that i do have an hdmi to dvi but aint sure if it will work for the ps3. It supports 420p/i 720p(i think also 720i) and 1080i but not 1080p. PLEASE HELP! much appreciated

2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

This set only has a DVI input, you will need a HDMI adapter or HDMI to DVI cable to connect something into this input.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDL_42XBR950_LCD_TV_42/4507-6482_7-30734386.html?tag=sub

From what I gather from this post, I reckon you have a cable box and DVD player hooked up to your T.V. right now. If the DVD player is connected via component cables, how is the cable box connected? If you are not using component cables for the cable box then you should do so. Is the DVD player upconverting? If so you will have to connect it via the DVI input on the T.V. to get the full benefit of the player. If you plan on buying a PS3 you will have to decide which one (DVD player or PS3) gets the DVI input. I would suggest the PS3 wins. As mentioned above, an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter is necessary. HDMI and DVI are compatible, however you will need to use composite stereo or digital audio cables for sound with a DVI hook up, as DVI does not carry sound.

The max resolution of your set is 1366x768, 720p is the closest to your native resolution. Your set will up or downscale all signals to that resolution so it should be compatible with all of the above (480i-1080p)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  3. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

The tv box and and dvd player is connected through red/gree/blue MONSTER component cables and the comcast hdtv box is connect through these 5 color plugs in one componet cable that also connects to my tv box, ill try to get a picture if u need it. yes i have a ps3 and am trying to connect it to get HD

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

When you say "t.v. box", is that the actual t.v. itself or do you have some sort of distribution hub? OR, do you have two things plugged in to the t.v. set--the "t.v. box" and DVD player?

Again, not quite sure what you mean by t.v. box. But, if what you have are a dvd player, an HD cable box and a PS3, then you would connect them as described in the last post. The DVD player and cable box via component and the ps3 via HDMI to DVI to give you the full benefit. Your t.v. has two component inputs and one DVI input. Connecting your equipment as described: you should be able to maximize all of your connections.

5. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

its the box originally that came for my tv like for powering off/controls that all plasma tv comes with. I also have a Monster box to get fluid hd. O ok i see but are you sure hdmi to dvi will work because i heard that it doesn't work but ill give it a try and btw when i get it i will have to click on hdmi on the settings for the ps3 instead of the components and all that stuff right.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Correct, HDMI and DVI inputs/cables are fully compatible. Unlike HDMI, DVI does not carry sound so you will have to connect the PS3 sound via digital optical/coax or composite cables. Once you have it set up you should adjust settings in the HDMI menu.

7. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

doesn't the ps3 come with composite cables allready? shouldn't just a hdmi to dvi cable be enough and btw i see a lot of like $7 hdmi to dvi should i get those there gold plated and seem to be the same as the expensive ones.

8. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

As stated previously, DVI does not transmit sound, only video. HDMI carries sound and video. So, even though you may have an HDMI cable with sound and video from your PS3, once you get to the DVI end you will lose the sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

So, you must use another connection for the sound, either composite cables (I believe there should be some with the PS3) or a digital audio cable. As far as the cheaper cables: there are people who say to buy the most expensive you can afford and others who have had luck with cheaper ones. I have never tried value priced cables but I'm sure there are decent ones out there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  9. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

ok i have bought an hdmi to dvi as you told me for my ps3 and cant get it to seem to work, well my ps3 normal compnent cables connet to the front of the dvd as the only way to get signaal for my ps3 to work but u were telling e i can only get it from one which i want my ps3 so does tht mean i should just like not use my dvd player and sell it or something and can you then tell me how to set up my ps3 so it gets signal through the tv input instead of the dvd input? btw i have hd compnent cables on my comcast box which also as a dvi slot but i use the dvi slot o my tv box. I tried hdmi settings but the picture goes black and when i move my d pad left to right i here a sound as if its just not showing the picture. i really need help!

10. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

i have taken my dvd player out and switched the input on my sony menue to game so now its working for the av cord to work on my sony tv box but now i still cant get signal for hd tv

11. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

O.K. I'm getting slightly confused with what you've got hooked up to the set. If you can give me a clear, simple list of what you've got hooked up to the t.v., and with what type of cables. Use something like this format:

DVD--component cables---t.v

I'm also not sure where the monster box comes in. Is it a power conditioner or surge protector? What is plugged into it and how? Really try to keep things simple in the descriptions and separate statements with periods, as it is sometimes hard to visualize when reading. As far as I gather, so far you have a cable box hooked up via DVI cable to the t.v., a dvd player to the t.v with component cables, and now the ps3 has to fit, right? Your set only has one DVI input so you will have to decide which thing you want to plug in there--the cable box or PS3. The dvd player and whichever thing you don't hook up with DVI can connect with the component cables. The set has a maximum resolution of 768p so don't worry about 1080i/p signals, the t.v will scale them. Once you get the PS3 plugged in, go to the setup menu and set the output for 720p or as close to 768p (1366x768) as allowed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  12. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

Here is a picture of all my equipment
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the DVD player i took out and the monster component cable that was connected. (side view)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the back of the comcast box which is located on top.
    [​IMG]

Ok now the TV box located in the middle of the three. Heres the back of it which consists of three close up pictures from left to right.

On the far left of this pic is my ps3 av cables(red/yellow/white)
    [​IMG]

Heres were my dvi socket which is the black part currently plugged in and red and white av to carry out sound which connects from there to the other one on the 1st pic of this tv box up top.
    [​IMG]

ok and last on the back of the tv box is were the screen connects(which doesn't mean anything for my problem but just to let you see everything on the back).
    [​IMG]

Last is the Home Theater Reference Power System. Which is the bottom one which is the last one, heres a slight pic of the back to give you an idea. [​IMG]

Thanks for trying to help me out a lot i really appecreaite it and sry for the bad picture quality because its off my cell phone since i currently dont have a digital camera.

13. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. This is how I would hook this up. Everything plugs into the t.v. box, right?. You have two component inputs on your box and one DVI input. The cable box and DVD player connect with the component cables where it says "HD/DVD in", the PS3 connects with the HDMI to DVI cable into the t.v box, you will still need the R and L audio cables for use with the PS3, plug these in with the DVI cable. The PS3 will only give you low resolution video over the A-V cables that came with it, thats why you have the HDMI to DVI cable. You can still get HD cable from your cable box with the component cables. Once you have it set up, make sure you have the proper input set on the t.v., turn on the ps3 and change the menu settings as needed. You should be able to hook all of your equipment up together and still get the best picture possible.

14. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

Yes everything plugs in with the tv box, isn't your way of setting up the way i currently have it? seems like everything i done. Also what imput setting do i put it on out of the options of selecting game, ld, web, beta, video 1, vhs, dvd, reciever, satellitle, cable box, 8mm or DTV. I have it currently set on game and it is showing it but the HD isnt working. When my dvd player is set i have the input set as dvd and it works for my ps3

15. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

The pictures showed the PS3 connected with the red/black/yellow cables. you don't need these if you use the DVI cable. The input menu labels on the t.v. are arbitrary, you should be able to edit and change the names of them as you wish. They should be labeled with numbers on the back of the t.v. box that also show up on screen with the labels (example-video 1 DVD, video 2 Cable, etc.). Set the t.v. to the number that corresponds to the DVI input once you have the PS3 connected and that should give you a picture.

Do you have the dvd player connected to the t.v. box with component cables or through the DVI? the DVD player should be connected to the HD/DVD input-just like the cable box. The PS3 should be connected HDMI to DVI and red/white audio cable from the ps3 to the audio input next to the DVI input. When you post back, maybe give me the numbers of the inputs on the back of the t.v. box and their labels on screen as you change through them.

16. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

the dvd player is connected by those monster cable components as the picture i showed you. The dvi is #6 so i changed the input #6 from skip to game so it will go to that input, but its still not working. I left the AV cords still in the video one and tried to change the ps3 to HDMI settings. I then switched the channel to the Game name which is video 6 and its still black.

-Video In 1&3
    -HD/DVD In 4
    -Audio Out 5
    -DVI-HDTV In 6

17. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

What settings did you use on the ps3 for the HDMI out? You can try unplugging the cables (DVI/HDMI) and turnig the equipment on and off, turning on the t.v. with the ps3 on, turning on the ps3 with the t.v. on. Sometimes the inputs don't "handshake" well. make sure all cables necessary are plugged in to the t.v. from the t.v. box. try doing all this with the av cords unplugged.

18. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

i updated last post so you can see the #'s on the bacl of the box, and ill try to do what your telling me to do. What do you mean by settings i used for HDMI out.

YESSSS i tried what you said and now everything works thanx a lot.

19. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

it ow says my setting is on 1080i and it cant handle 1080p but i heard 720p is better? so should i switch to 720p instead of 1080i?

20. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Congrats!!! Whew!! I would set the the output to 720p for 2 reasons. The most important is that your set is "fixed" at 768p. What means is that it takes all signals up to 1080i and scales them to 768p. 720p is closest to your screen's "fixed" resolution so that means less processing of the signal and a better picture. If you have the option in the ps3 settings (you can check on this), set it to 1366x768, your t.v. has a resolution of 1366x768p. Otherwise 720p is the closest. There are people who support 720p as the best format for games and fast action saying it gives a smoother picture. Have Fun, you earned it!!!