1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV HDMI OUTPUT HELP!

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by streetz08, Dec 8, 2006.

1. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

Ok thanx for the info. IM SO HAPPY NOW! Your such a great help, this was as satisfying as setting up that hard Wifi max doggle for my psp. Ill never forget about you we need to like add eachother. ;)

2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I'm happy for ya! You reminded me, I never created a profile! You can add me if you like and when I get my profile up you will be my first addition.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@streetz08

I have a 55" Widescreen SONY HDTV (about 2 1/2 years old) which fully supported all 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I connected my PS3 60GB using HDMI --> DVI (TV) and I can switched from 1080i or 720p easily.

To be honest with you guys, my PS3 and TV didn't have any issue (i.e. glitches at all like all those issues I've seen via the PS3 forum). I've tried playing games (at least graphics are better than PS2), watching original DVDs and backups DVDs and I can't really see any differences. Don't get me wrong guys, or maybe I'm sitting too far I guess... about 10 Feet - 11 Feet, or maybe it's just my eyes, LOL. I've read that if you're about 5 Feet, then you'll notice a little differences, but 10 or more all quality are the same regardless if it's 720p or 1080p.

I was amazed by how much this thing can do, even if it only supported 720p and 1080i. Been waiting this long just to watch High Definition movies and games.

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

@alkohol ...I can't really see any differences. Don't get me wrong guys, or maybe I'm sitting too far I guess... about 10 Feet - 11 Feet, or maybe it's just my eyes, LOL. I've read that if you're about 5 Feet, then you'll notice a little differences, but 10 or more all quality are the same regardless if it's 720p or 1080p.

I reluctantly agree with you here, lol. I say reluctantly because I have gone through much trouble to get the best connection and highest resolution from my components and I WANT to believe the signals look better. I think I notice slight improvements but that depends on the source. It's somehow comforting to know that I've got the highest resolution I can get, even if I can't tell the difference! Maybe bragging rights?? Who knows!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  5. streetz08

streetz08 Regular member

I dont really see a difference either between 720p and 1080i. Thanx i have added you chicken little ;). I need Help on my ps3 internet, ill gladly appreciate it if you can help me again. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/442564

BTW is Linux worth the time?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I speak on behalf of my SONY HDTV and yes it fully supported both 720p and 1080i because I've tried them all. By the way, I'm using HDMI to DVI, not Components or HDMI to HDMI.

Like I said; maybe it's only me (perhaps my eyes) and maybe I sit too far (i.e. 10 Feet or more) because my living room is roughly 18 Feet apart. Since my HDTV took roughly 2 feet of space from wall, and my leather couch took another 2 feet from wall, now I have about 14 Feet left.

I'm not here to argue or say that 1080i is better than 720p, I'm just saying both are good "in my eyes" for now. However, in the long run I maybe leaning more toward 720p.

7. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I absolutely concur!

8. vertius

vertius Guest

This quote is making me very angry!! I can't get mine to work at all!

My issues is very similar to streetz08 and I tried everything.

Below is what I posted on some other websites, but got no luck:

I would like to know what cables I should use and the best way to connect them all together.

I got rid of most of the component cables. I do have a fiber cable running from the receiver to the cable box. I bought an HDMI/DVI cable to connect the PS3, but it doesn't work.

Should I use a DVI/DVI cable and connect the TV and cable, getting rid of the component cables? I know I need another fiber cable to run from the PS3 to the receiver.

This is what I have. The images are from the back of the devices.
    Onkyo TXSR-500 Receiver
    [​IMG]
    Motorola DCT6208 HDTV Cable Box
    [​IMG]
    Sony KV-32HS500 TV
    [​IMG]
    Sony PS3
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:

Well, I keep having a hard time getting my TV to recognize the stupid HDMI/DVI cable. I found some tips on the web and tried it, but nothing happened. I guess I am out of luck unless I can get my wife to fall for my puppy dog eyes to buy another TV. :p

How about this idea:
    This cable came with the PS3
    [​IMG]
    What if I get an HDMI/HDMI cable to connect the cable box to the TV and use this cable below to connect the PS3 to the TV. Also, can I still use the fiber cable to connect to the PS3 to the receiver?
    [​IMG]
    I am assuming the cable above will allow me to use at least 720 resolution, right?

More info here: http://www.us.playstation.com/....html

9. vertius

vertius Guest

Here is some more info:

My TV has the DVI input. This is what happens. I am using the settings within PS3 to activate the HDMI. Once I click "x", I am supposed to remove the AV cables and plug in the HDMI/DVI cable and scroll through my videos. I think, I actually get something on video 7, the screen slightly shakes. This is what Sony had me do. Also, I don't think I have anyway to tell the TV to accept the DVI input. I will make sure tonight, but I am pretty sure that the remote doesn't have a button and the menu sure doesn't, because I checked a million times.

I found this yesterday and tried it, but maybe I am missing something.
    1. Connect the PS3 using the standard AV Cable. (Make note you have to change the cables soon so don't make anything to fancy yet)

2. Have the HDMI cable ready to be connected to the PS3 (which means it's already connected to the TV, and not the PS3)

3.Open up the display setting menu, and select HDMI

4. A screen will prompt you warning you that you are changing the connections (for the better no?)

5. Before you click yes, understand you have 30 seconds to rip out the AV Cable and replace it with the HDMI. Also have your TV remote ready to switch to the HDMI input.

6. Hit X and rip the AV Cable out of the PS3 and insert the HDMI cable INTO THE PS3 (since it's already connected to your tv)

8. Flip to the HDMI input quickly! A new screen should pop up on your HDMI input saying "Do you want to accept this setting". Hit X once, fast. (Damn Sony for making me work so hard)

9. Run through the rest of the pages selecting your supported video resolutions, and even your audio setting. (I did my audio by auto setting)

10. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Before you swap cables there should be a screen that prompts you to check which resolutions are supported by your display. This should come between steps 4 and 5 in your list. In the screen you have check boxes next to 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Make your choices then swap the cables. This is how I switched from component to HDMI and back again to HDMI. ( I wanted to see how the component connection looked.)

11. vertius

vertius Guest

Cool, I tried that yesterday, but I realized I might have screwed up. In step 6, I didn't remove the AV cables from the PS3, I just yanked them from the TV. So maybe, the original signal was still trying to make it through the AV cables. I hope that is what is wrong.

12. maxyp128

maxyp128 Member

I am desperate for help. I have connected my PS3 to my HDTV with DVI - obviously no audio. Now I have no idea how to hook up sound - I am a technology retard. Can someone please help? Somehow, I need to run just the audio part of the component connection to pick up the sound but not the video, but I can not figure out how to get my TV to read from 2 sources. Any suggestions?