1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV On A Regular Antenna

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by TomasJ, Jan 28, 2007.

1. TomasJ

TomasJ Member

I'm wanting to buy a large screen TV probably 37inches or 42inches.
    There's so much technology with these tvs,that I somewhat lost as to what I really need. I was thinking of plasma or LCD, but with having only a regular antenna for hook up, sales people have been telling me that the picture I'll be getting won't be worth anything. One even said a rear projection would be better than LCD or Plasma.

So what's the best advice for me?

2. phuocle

phuocle Member

The sales guys you spoke to are idiots. A regular TV antenna works fine for HDTV... check out my comments in this post:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/459501

As for the comments about rear projection being better, that is somewhat true but too many factors to get into here... and without a lot of folks having their own "expert" opinion. Suffice to say that HDTV on a rear projection can look super smooth and amazing... not quite so smooth on LCD's/some plasma (you see the pixels as the scalers have to fit 1920x1080 HDTV image into the normally 1366x768 resolution of these LCD's/plasma). Some scalers are pretty damn awesome, some just sucks.