1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV + Playstation 3 only 480p

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by raretoy, Feb 19, 2007.

1. raretoy

raretoy Member

I just bought a PS3 and the games "Resistance and NHL 2K7" they are both 720p. But I'm only getting 480p. I have a 48" mitsubishi HDTV (WS-48313) and using high end component cables. But with my Xbox 360 also using component cables I'm getting 1080i (allthough most of the games are formated in 1080i). I've went through all my display settings in the PS3 triple checked everything, I just cant get better than 480p. Any help??

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

You probably tried this, but on my remote I have virtual HD which switches from 480p 720p and 1080i. Or maybe it needs to be thru HDMI to achieve 720p or higher for the PS3

3. Flameon

Flameon Member

If your TV doesn't support 720p and the game you playing only supports a MAX of 720p, the PS3 will downscale it to 480p. Currently the PS3 does not upscale to 1080i from 720p, sorry buddy but it will be coming in a future firmware update Sony has said.

4. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Yeah... if you have HDMI use it. The ps3 was kind of designed around it and with all the HD protocols and bluray were up in the air at the time of production, it might be overridden when using the components. They should have it fixed at some point. Have you tried setting your 360 to 720p to see if your TV can display that?

5. splman

splman Member

Well there something wrong because the 360 comes in 1080i and your tv does it and and the ps3 won't play 720 through the componets and i know i tried componets on my ps3 and it works fine now i'm useing hdmi so it has to be the wires.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, the PS3 requires HDMI for anything above 480p. Use HDMI. Your TV definitely excepts 720p and 1080i. Your problem is your cable selections.

Ced

7. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I'm pretty sure if you read the manual it states component cables can do full HD at 1080p. I could be wrong, but I remember reading my manual when I was board and figuring that out. The connection is more crisp if you use HDMI though.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The PS3 manual states...

BD/DVD settings page...
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html#1855

It looks like PS one and PS two games are the only games that can be outputted at 1080p via Component Video.

Games Settings page...
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/gamesettings.html#2434

For CSS encoded (copy protected) DVDs HDMI has to be used for up-conversion...

DVD/BD settings page:
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html#2449

If you are not using a copy protected DVD then the PS3 will upscale to 1080p via Component Video or HDMI.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007