1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV ready

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by trenn15, Feb 23, 2007.

1. trenn15

trenn15 Member

I hope someone can help me out. I have a 65" Mitsubishi HD ready TV that i bought about 3-1/2 years ago. I didn't buy it with the tuner because of the lack of stations at the time and the price difference. I am wanting to take advantage of HDTV, but i am not sure what equipment i need. Do I need to buy a HD tuner, a HD antenna, or both. I also have Dishnetwork and was looking at possible upgrading to the HD package if i can get the whole HD stuff down. I'm just not sure what direction i need to take. Also, is it worth making the upgrade as far as picture quality is concerned. The TV manual only says it goes to 1080i, does this mean if the station broadcast it's HD in 720p i will not be able to get that station in HD. Thanks in advance for everyones help. Any recomendations would be nice as far as equipment that can be purchased. Thanks again.

2. bigup132

bigup132 Guest

Hey trenn, you should check out this site to get all the info you need.

Easyhdtv
    two links that would be of use would be the "HD sources" link on the right side. and also the "480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p & VIEWING DISTANCE " link.

If you go with the DishNetwork route, you'll be fine. They provide a receiver for you. As your tv does not have an ATSC tuner, it is basically a monitor. After reading the info on that site, I think you'll get it. Let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers!

3. trenn15

trenn15 Member

Thanks bigup. I'll check out the links and let you know if i have anymore questions.

4. trenn15

trenn15 Member

Hey bigup, i will still need to buy a HD tuner as well as getting the receiver from Dishnetwork if i want the cable HD? Is this correct? Or can i just buy the HD receiver from Dish without getting a HD tuner and then get an antenna for the OTA HD stations? This is what i'm confussed about. I sure my TV is only HD capable which makes me believe that i need the tuner before the Dish HD receiver would work. Can you please clarify. I checked out the link you gave me, but it really didn't answer these questions. Excuse my ignorance, as i'm really unfamiliar with all HD stuff. Thanks again for your help.

5. bigup132

bigup132 Guest

Ok, here's the really simple version.

When you order Dish Network's service, they will provide you with a satellite and a receiver. This is on loan to you while you have the service. When you terminate your service with them, you'll have to send it back.

The receiver they give you will "receive" the channels you subscribe to. There is no tuner involved here. The tuner is like what regular tv's have built in. With HD sets, the ATSC tuner is the same thing, but for high def channels. You use a regular antenna to pick up the HD channels.

Because your tv doesn't have an ATSC tuner built in, you can't just plug in an antenna to it. So you can buy an external HD tuner which is where you'll plug the antenna into.

As you're getting Dish Network, you don't need to worry about the HD tuner. Just get their HD package. They may charge you $5 extra for the local channels. Because you're having a hard time dealing with all this, I would say save yourself some headache and eat the $5 instead of trying to mess around with an antenna and HD tuner just to get local channels.

Hope this clears it up for you.

6. trenn15

trenn15 Member

Thanks bigup, that clears up my confussion of the tuner/ receiver situation. I do have one more question before you think i'm an idiot. Will i be able to pick up the locals through Dish in HD without having a tuner?

7. bigup132

bigup132 Guest

Hey trenn,

don't worry, ask away, i think thats why these forums are here. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Now to your last question. Dish's HD receiver also picks up the locals in HD without the need for any additional equipment. They just charge you $5 extra to recieve them. For your situation, I would say go this route to avoid any complications.

Bear in mind that the local channels aren't 100% HD. Only certain programming is HD. Mostly primtime shows and a few morning chat shows and news. This will change as time goes on, but it's still worth watching 24 in HD every monday!!!!

I would suggest email subscribing to the site in my signature to watch for updates. Easyhdtv just had an update on Dish where new subscribers are getting the HD-DVR for free now!!! Previously you had to pay $200 to lease it, and then $6/month for the DVR service. Now they give you the DVR free rental and you just pay $6/month. That site also had an article about horrible Dish Network customer service.

Before you ask. The HD-DVR replaces the regular receiver. If you like the HD-DVR IS a receiver with an HD-DVR built in. It allows you to record shows in HD. The regular DVR would only record standard defintion channels, even if you had the HD package.

Cheers!

8. trenn15

trenn15 Member

Thanks. I did know the situation with the HD/ HDDVR receivers from Dish. I did a little home work on that. I already have a DVR through them. But it sounds like you can record 200 hours in standard and 30 hours in HD or a combination of the 2. This sounds really great and i will most definetly give Dish a call. Hopefully i can talk to someone i can understand (LOL). Thanks again for the help, you have been a savior.