1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV showing fuzzy picture

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by imsovip77, Jun 28, 2007.

1. imsovip77

imsovip77 Member

I recently bought a 32 inch 720p lcd tv. I basically bought it to play my ps3 in HD. When I hook it up using the HDMI cables it shows a stellar picture. My problem is, I dont have digital cable I just have basic cable that you hook up with a coax cord and the picture looks like crap. I know the TV isnt going to turn basic cable into HD but how come the picture looks ten times worse than on a normal TV? Are my settings incorrect? DO I have to use component cables to get a better picture? Just asking because I dont want to have to spend more money on an HD cable service I just want a decent picture without fuzz. Like I said I only want to play ps3 in HD. Thanks in advance.

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@imsovip

Yep, nothing wrong with your TV, cable picture is indeed bad on non HD channels. There is an easy fix for the local channel if you live near the broadcasting towers. Get a pair of rabbit ears or get a small attic UHF antenna here's a site where you can make one. Your TV should be able to pick up the local over air HD signal. Connect your TV and cable box with components. If no box and have only one coax TV input then get an A-B switch

Instructions for making antenna for attic

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

3. imsovip77

imsovip77 Member

Okay thanks. Wish I knew this before I bought the TV. Looks like Ill have to upgrade my cable service to HD. Thanks again.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you're on Cox Cable, don't expect much of a selection of HD channels. The major networks only broadcast in HD during primetime. And the other HD staions available are the ESPNs and Discovery Theatre, great one, and then a few other weird ones. Cable hasn't caught up with HD technology yet.