1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Tuner for HD ready tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hurley19, Apr 6, 2005.

1. hurley19

hurley19 Member

I am looking for a hdtv set top for my big screen and wondering if anyone has any suggestions from personal use or if someone knows a good place to purchase one from. I am looking to play my xbox on it as well as watch tv. thanks.

2. joe33333

joe33333 Guest

Well, first off if you want to play Xbox you should make sure the TV is either LCD, Plasma or says DLP somewhere on it because with a projection TV it will burn into your screen and leave permanent marks. For Xbox HD I'm not really sure, I think there is an Xbox kit you have to buy(knowing Mircrosoft, lol) in order to do it but for HDTV you need a company that will provide you with high definition TV channels and usually buy one of their receivers,(DirectTV, Expressvu, Dishnet etc.) you won't notice any difference if you hook up a normal analog or digital feed. I don't think you can get one box that will play Xbox and watch TV. You will have to set them up separately. Does the TV have DVI inputs? Also, check the Xbox games because only some of them are HDTV compatible and will look like shit if they are played on a big screen.

EDIT: Do a google but I think I remember reading something about Free-To-Air HDTV channels but you still need a dish and reciever.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
  3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you go with digital cable or satalite, you won't need anthing other than a decoder box with hd capabilities. As far as xbox, you need component cables in order to get the best visuals. All games are progressive scan(480p or 720p) and a good amount can output a HD signal(1080i). You can go with microsoft's advanced A/V pack or monster cable's GameLinkā„¢ 400 X Component Video Cable.(There are also other options for component cables if you want to cheap out).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  4. hurley19

hurley19 Member

so what you're saying is that i don't need a hd box for my xbox if i wanted to hook it up to my hdtv moniter tv. yes it is a projection tv, but why would it leave permanent marks? is it any different that playing it regular and not in hd? i do not have digital cable, it is just basic and does not come with a box, not sure if any of the channels actually come in hd, mainly i wanted to play my xbox in hd.

5. hurley19

hurley19 Member

no dvi input, composite inputs i believe, and most xbox games are able to be played in 480 at least, so i hear.

6. hurley19

hurley19 Member

lets just go this route, what are some opinions for the best hd setup to play xbox on?

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Buy component cables for your xbox, that's it. Simple.

8. hurley19

hurley19 Member

this tv is only hdtv-moniter, and thats all i need? what about what joe was saying with it permanately burning my screen, any truth to that. thanks for the help