1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heat problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tommyl, Jan 5, 2005.

1. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i have a custom built pc with an intel pentium 4 2.4ghz and i was wondering if this temperature is safe
    52 degrees celcius
    125 degress farinheit
    my computer is not overclocked i am running 512 memory and two burners and two hard drives is this safe i also have a 300 watt power supply thanks

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'm not sure how hot P4s usually run as I've never had an intel rig before. I do know that you're not in any danger of it burning up or anything like that. 52°C seems a bit high to me but hardly dangerous.

I'm sure someone that are more familiar with P4s could help you out.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The CPU should be in the mid to upper 30'sC when you are not gaming or burning DVD's.

4. tommyl

tommyl Guest

what would i have to do to keep this tempature down

5. tommyl

tommyl Guest

should i add another fan its a brand new processor and mother board i dont think that my fans are bad

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is system temp & how many fans. my 2.4 celeron is about 35c & system is 33c with total of 9 fans

7. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i have 2 fans one on power supply and one on processor my temp when computer is first booting up is 50c

8. ddp

put a couple of case fans into case, 1 pulling air in from front & 2nd to expel air in back. what is motherboard. make certain heatsink is actually sitting on cpu not partly on bracket

9. tommyl

tommyl Guest

my board is an ecs 848p-a will that heat hurt my computer till i get another fan or should that be ok for a while thanks

10. ddp

should be allright til new fans put in. i'm running ecs p4vxasd2+ board. possibility that the heat sensor is not reading temp properly as ran into that problem before on p3-450 with 12c difference with same cpu but 2 different boards

11. tommyl

tommyl Guest

ok thats good to know

12. tommyl

tommyl Guest

oh by the way thanks for the help ddp

13. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Did you purchase your heatsink with the CPU or was it purchased seperately?

I ask because, with a decent heatsink you can carve off 10 degrees without the need for additional fans.

If it is an Intel heatsink (supplied with CPU), then yes as others have stated:

Check seating/connection of heatsink and HTC paste/pad
    Check airflow into case
    Is the case a MIDI or FULL tower
    Does the PSU push warm air into the intake of CPU fan?

With MIDI, PSU can sit directly over the top of CPU fan - thus restricting airflow and pushing warm air into CPU - either larger case or additional fans....................