1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat Temp Sensor Install NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by n0b0dy187, Sep 14, 2010.

1. n0b0dy187

n0b0dy187 Member

OK so here is the problem I was having:

My Samsung AV-R720 surround receiver was outputting a crackling/popping sound whenever the receiver got hot. However it was only to one channel the left front. I thought maybe it was just a bad connection inside the receiver so I opened it up and looked.....nope no bad connections/solder points. So the next thing that crossed my mind was that it could be overheating. I figured that because it only started making the sound once the receiver had been on for about an hour. If I left it to cool off for a while then it would turn back on with no distortion for about another hour. I remembered that I had a RROD Xbox360 in my closet. I opened it up pulled the double 12V fan from it and mounted it inside the receiver to the AMP's heat sink. I wired it up to a 12V source coming from the power supply to the amp board so it would only be on when the unit was turned on. BINGO everything works just fine now the unit never gets hot and the distorted sound has completely vanished.

So what is my problem you ask? Well I was trying to find out is there was some way I could wire in a temp sensor with a power regulator so that way the cooler the unit the slower the fans would run and the hotter the unit the faster they would run. Similar to how an electric fan works in an automobile. That way when I have the volume lower and the amp isn't heating up as much the fans wont be so loud.

If it can be done easily then I'll do it, but if its a pretty complicated process then I'll just leave it the way it is. The fans are not that loud and I'm really just happy that I managed to fix the distortion in the F/L channel.

Also has anybody else had this problem?? I personally think that this problem stems from a flaw in the receivers design. There are only a few small vents on the top of the unit and there are no fans whatsoever on the inside. I know it's just a basic receiver so I can't expect too much but they could have at least cut in some more vents at he top with little or no extra cost to the company.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

Too bad receivers don't have usb ports that a laptop cooler can plug into, to keep air blowing on them. I think they would be the ideal thing to use...........

3. n0b0dy187

n0b0dy187 Member

yeah that would be handy...I was surprised how easy the XBOX fan was to install though. had the voltage labeled on the fan and my board had the pins of the plugs labeled and luckily i had a 12v pos and neg right on my board.