1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heaven's to Betsey, what's that blue crap on my iphone?!

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by p1r473, Mar 20, 2008.

1. p1r473

p1r473 Member

k so i have my iphone opened up and the headphones, powerbutton, viberator, and all that crap removed and its then the silver backing piece, so i took my heat gun and heated up the glue on the back of the chrome apple logo which im taking out, im doing some serious iphone modding right now, im upgrading the wireless intena to be the size of the while phone hopfully gaining 75% better reception by doing this, then im going to be making a mold of that chrome apple logo and putting something around 10 to 20 smd led's behind it attached to a small switch so that it becomes a light for the camera, so right now im at this stage with these first ever iphone mods i came up with myself with no help from anyone else making strangerhacks the first actual iphone mods, so while it was off i decided im going to paint the back cover while im at it and ran into a bit of a problem, the silence switch and the colume buttons are behind this metal thing that is glued down with some blue crap, i used my heat gun on it for just over 20 seconds and still cant seem to remove it so how am i suppose to get those buttons out so i can paint it?, i was thinking taping over them and painting it that way but taping something that small would look like crap so i dont really wanna do that if theres something i can do about taking that off, possibly soaking it in something maybe? hot water perhaps? im out of idea's here i need some help so i can paint my iphone, i know its possible cause colorware paints i phones and they get those buttons out but they never replied to me about how to get them out when i asked them
    k well thanks for any help
    -StrangerHacks

2. varnull

varnull Guest

seriously? you expect them to give you trade secrets??

That "blue crap" as you call it is most likely some hot melt glue.. knowing apple it's melting point is probably in the same region as the plastic it is stuck to. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have the same solvent as the buttons too..

Tricoethylene will probably be a solvent for the glue, and the plastics in the case, and the buttons, and any worktops nearby.. I have had some small success with hot melt glues by trying stuff like fine penetrating oil.

3. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Must be nice to be able to purchase an iPhone and hack the thing up with no worries....

[​IMG]

4. ato09

ato09 Member

Just a quick question, do you have more than one iphone right now or what? i mean i just didnt know because i didnt think you would do this to your regular everyday phone that you use.