1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I need some advice for building a super computer!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by MCPROTEUS, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I get where you're coming from :)

If he's not bothered about 2560x1600 then the 4870X2 would be fine i guess, but considering even a GTX280 SLI would only be $50 more, it's quite enticing ;)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's going to cost a lot more than that in the long run though from the energy consumption, and scuppers upgrade plans. Most i7 boards can't triple SLI. With two GPUs on one card, you get much more future upgrade potential by using an X2 card.

3. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Hmmm, i suppose so :D

You know i should just never argue with you, you're always infallible :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, when you spend as much money in this field as I have, you take considerable time researching what is the best option.

5. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

True i guess :)

I wouldn't be spending this amount of money in the first place... Maybe a single GTX275 at most :p

6. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hey Everyone

Well I have decided to not get such a monster machine ... Most people are telling me that it is a waste of money .. SO screw it.

OK now my question is ... Should I get a guy at my local computer shop that I can walk to to build me a machine or would it be smarter to buy a system

from Best Buy or Future Shop? Future Shop has systems for sale that have 12 GIGS of Ram and have 1 TB Hard Drives. The only thing is that if I get my local computer guy to build it he pretty much will promise me that he will fix anything for half a decade. I plan on buying a suitcase with wheels and a handle and put it next to the machine and I will know that if anything goes wrong I can just unplug the tower throw it in the suitcase a wheel it down the street. However there is a Future Shop also within walking distance and they have that " Connect Pro " desk. The only thing is those $1600.00 systems at Future Shop only have 1 TB of Hard Drive Space and I would like 3 ( because I am nuts ) and I would also like a Blue Ray Burner.........Also I am a little confused because when I am in Future Shop and I look at their systems do they include Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse? The system I am on right now I got from Best Buy and it was like $1500.00 and it included monitor, keyboard and mouse. This is what I got

dELL xps xps_430
    S.2 Windows Experience Index
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8300
    @2.50 GHz 2.49 GHz
    MEMORY (RAM) 6.00 GB
    SYSTEM TYPE 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

The girl who sold it to me convinced me to get a 2 year super best buy warrently that cost mae like $160.............Anyways

so YEAH .......... Should I get buddy to custom make me a machine that is awesome for like $1500 and THEN spend $500 on monitors, Keyboard, Skype Headset, Web cam, Mouse, Speakers ...ect ..... making it a total of $2000 for the whole thing. Or should I buy something from Future Shop or Best Buy is one sweet normal consumer ( goose with a paycheck ) system with some warranty and if anything goes wrong I just drag it to Connect Pro or Geek Squad???

Maybe I should just forget about a new computer and buy music making hardware & Gear ... aargghhhhhhhh

What the deal what do you think?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, if you're that unsure, do you really need a new PC?
    If you want something decent, I'd advise against a prebuild, but you don't really seem to know what you're after... :S

8. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Sam I want to ask you. Why do you advise against a prebuild for a decent computer? Thanks.

9. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

It's not just him, I don't think anyone here would suggest a prebuild - You generally don't know the actual components that're inside it, they usually focus on the wrong things first (like putting more RAM in them than you'll ever need) so you generally have to pay well over the odds for a decent gaming system, you can optimise each component so much better in a self build and you save money along the way too.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're very difficult to upgrade, you have very little control over what components they use, and they're much more expensive for the same performance as a PC you build yourself.