1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I would like to convert several DVDs to .avi format could use some help please!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by MCPROTEUS, Apr 25, 2009.

1. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hello After Dawn

Ok here is my situation.

I use to do a music night called Altered Beats in Toronto. I would spin weird music at a small bar called Nasa on Queen Street. That bar had around 11 TV's all hooked up to one VCR. I met a film Student named Eoin Harris and got sponsored by the independent video store Suspect Video and Eoin made me around 9 VHS Tapes of " Altered Beats Video Mash Ups" ... ok moving on. A long time ago one of my tech friends showed me how to convert the VHS into DVD'S. I think I used a program called " Studio 8 " that came with my ATI All In Wonder video card I think. Well OK. Now I have 8 DVDR's of those video mash Ups. Now what I would REALLY like to do is ... I would like to convert those into .avi files. I like .avi the best. I don't like .mkv, .ogm, .wmv, mpeg, mpg, .asf ... or whatever. I would like them to be .avi but if they had to be one of those other formats and I did not have a choice whatever I guess. Right now as we speak I am dumping the Altered Beats mash up DVDR's onto my external HD for safe keeping. I might put them on my Internal HD as well ( Sorry to bore you with all these details ) ....Ahem ok... Once someone or some people on here hopefully give me the instructions on how to do this. I want to maybe make these .avi's files into torrents. And I don't know how to do that either and I am hoping someone can explain that to me here as well. I plan on maybe uploading the .avi files onto a website and I also plan on maybe using a website called Motion Box to upload the files to. I have already paid $29 for their " premium " account and I can upload as much data as I want on there. ALSO I would like to maybe chop up all the Altered Beats Mash up so that I can put them all on Youtube. So I guess I will have to chop them up into 10 minute segments. I guess that might be hard and take awhile eh? Could someone tell me how to do this as well?

And here is something else. Right now I am on a computer that has a AMD Athlon XP 2400 2.01 Ghz, 512 of RAM ........HOWEVER ( ... drum roll ) right next to me I have a MONSTER DELL system !! Just got it. 6 I repeat 6 GIGS of RAM and a INTEL core 2 quad ( whatever that means ) ..So whatever programs I need to use to make this happen should run pretty smooth and fast on that bastard. You just have to promise me that the programs have absolutely no Malware or Spyware or anything ok! And are the programs I am going to use free? Or are they programs I have to pay for? Are they programs that are not free but I could maybe .... ( cough Cough eMule... cough cough ) .. or are they programs that might be on Vista? That's me OS on the new computer. Ok and moving along. I also from Eoin Harris I have two files of the video mash ups. There are in .m1v format. What the heck is a.m1v anyway? I would like to maybe convert them into .avi and maybe upload them to MotionBox ( probably a another good reason to convert them to .avi because will Motionbox even take that format? ) and I would like to also chop those up and put them on YouTube as well. I think I am going to make all these files available on a FTP server ( a new website I will make ) and on torrents so that maybe I can give them to weird video editing people and they can use them to make music videos for my songs. I am the worlds first open source rapper. But anyways. This is also maybe another question for you AfterDawn people where are some good websites filled with video Editing people/ Actually that's pretty unimportant right now I guess. Thinking ahead to much.

Another question I have is now do I " chop " up part's of a .avi file or .mpeg file or .mkv file or .ogm file? I would like to maybe cut up some parts of movies that I like and put them on Youtube. I have no idea how to do that but like I said I got this new monster machine here.

Ok and then last thing is. Ok I really want to learn how to convert a DVD into a .avi and make a torrent because one of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME is a weird little movie called " The Dimension Travers " That puppy is NOT in a torrent or on eMule or Soulseek! lol ..I want to share that movie with the world! lol

Also this is a little weird. I want to maybe see if I can buy the VHS of the movie " Twilight of the Cockroaches " and then convert that into a .avi and make a torrent and share that with the world. That movie is impossible to find. ( gee I hope my VCR still works )

Ok that's about it. Please answer my questions and if you need to e-mail me you can at

*email removed*

Thank You

*adverting removed*

wheewwwwwwwwwww what a post !! LOL

Oh I have two other small questions. I would like to attempt to be a pro at old school video game emulators. I would like to play some NES and SNES and myabe some n64 ( I am too old and mildly retarded so I can't play FPS ( First Person Shooter ) What are the best emulators for NES and SNES and N64? I have a Logitech Precision game controller. I tried to open a .exe that was a emulator for NES or SNES and this Logitech thing was plugged in but it did not work. Do I need to configure the game controller? Also could someone give me a link to VOIP for dummies? I want to learn about that as well. But this stuff is really not that important. I need to convert my Altered Beats mash ups pretty please !!!

Aaron Campbell aka PROTEUS

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hey Mr. Moderator or whatever. I am really sorry about the links I put in the post. I am trying to learn better netiquette these days. I will try and never do that again in AfterDawn. Because I really want to learn how to do those things I asked about. I am hoping someone will respond soon !

Aaron aka PROTEUS

3. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

sorry should I remove my signature or can I keep it?

Aaron aka PROTEUS

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OOps i'd forgotten to reply earlier. Hi and welcome to our humble abode, though you'll have to remove the links.

As to converting to AVI, try AutoGK (free). I must admit, i haven't read all of your post as it's a lot to take in and it's late, but AutoGK will take DVD compliant files and with virtually no effort/setting up of the program you can be converting to AVI in no time. I've been using AutoGK virtually non-stop for the last 3 or 4 weeks, chomping thru a large chunk of my DVD movie collection and i use AutoGK with everything set to auto except the output file size which i set at 1401MB.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hi creaky

Is there something wrong with me? because for the life of me I can't find the user control panel. I want to remove the links to be on good terms with AfterDawn here. But I can't find it. Am I blind? And thank you for the suggestion I am going to get on that right away. That is unless someone comes up with a better idea in the next 10 minutes.

Oh wait a min. Should I just un check " Check this box, if you want to use your signature. " for the rest of my life here on AferDawn ?

PROTEUS

6. creaky

You added the links so they'll be where you put them :)

..ie in the 'my account' section up top right of the page. You can create a shoutbox profile if you want, and in there we are less strict than on the forums as the shoutboxes aren't moderated much (yet), so you are free to put the links in there.

7. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hi Creaky

Is AutoGK a free program?

Aaron

8. creaky

9. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Ok I am off to bed ! Hopefully when I check tomorrow I will have some answers to my questions

PROTEUS

10. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hey man ! I installed your autogk but it also came with a program called AviSynth 2.5

what the heck is that?

wish me luck I am going to try and convert those Altered Beats DVDS today. Could someone please tell me what programs I need to convert those .m1v files into .avi ? I don't think that site MotionBox takes .m1v format.]

And someone answer my questions ! lol

PROTEUS

11. creaky

Don't worry about Avisynth, it's needed in the background by AutoGK.

Can't say i've ever heard of .m1v format files.

Try running a dvd thru utoGK and post your results.

12. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Hello

I just tried to convert my first DVD into a .avi

This is what it says in the log window

[26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] AutoGK 2.55
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] OS: Windows Vista (6.0.6001).2
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Job started.
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Input file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Output file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\VIDEO_TS.avi
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Output codec: XviD
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Audio 1: Audio Stream 0 PCM
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Subtitles: none
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Format: AVI
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Target size: 1400Mb
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Audio 1 settings: Auto
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Started encoding.
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Demuxing and indexing.
    EXCEPTION: Bad index file.
    [26/04/2009 1:22:15 PM] Job finished. Total time: 0 seconds
    ================================================

what went wrong?

I am going to try another DVD

PROTEUS

13. creaky

I personally don't work with single VOB files, if it's a complete DVD you're supposed to pick one of the IFO files ie ~

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

..but i'm assuming you're dealing with a single VOB file there. When i posted I thought this was the problem but as i say, i don't ever work with single VOB files. Just tried selecting the VTS_01_1.VOB from my sample DVD folder and AutoGK started working fine. Wierd (though i'll stick to using the IFO file like i always do).

Anyways, no idea, try some googling for that error, i'll do the same.

a tip that i only found out a few weeks ago - if you choose 1400MB AutoGK will try to split the outfiles into 2. For me the file splitting nearly always caused AutoGK to hang, thus i could never batch queue any conversions. If you pick say 1401MB it won't attempt to split the output (and won't hang).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  14. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

OMG !!

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY IN MY LIFE I SWEAR TO GOD ! I have a hilarious story for you man !

Ok check this out. I just bought this monstrous PC like 2 days ago and ok ok ok ok ok ok Check this out. I moment ago I was trying to use the Question mark key on my keyboard. And what was showing up was " E " with a little accent thing on the top. Ok I called Geek Squad and the guy gave me some instructions and I follow them but it did not fix the problem. So the guy was like " Sorry man you will have to bring it in and we will have to give you a new one " and I was like AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just spent like 10 hours putting all my data on this thing. I was just about to try a reboot with the sad pathetic small chance that might fix the problem. And then BOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it WORKED!! The keyboard is US !!!!!!!! OMG I swear I just rocked out in my Kitchen like I was in the Deftones or something......... my god !!

Ok enough of that!

Ok here is was my problem was with AutoGK. Ok AutoGK was displaying all of the contents of my DVD'S on my Hard Drive as the SAME looking icon which was a film looking thing from my default player Media Player Classic. So I assumed they were all .VOB'S ..... BUT I was wrong I just need to right click on them and click properties and find the .ISO I have started the first DVD of my Altered Beats Mash Ups and it's on the go right now. I was going to set up more then one job but I figure since it's my first try I will see how the first one goes. HEY! How long is this going to take? I have a pretty awesome PC here. Here are my specs

dELL xps xps_430
    S.2 Windows Experience Index
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8300
    @2.50 GHz 2.49 GHz
    MEMORY (RAM) 6.00 GB
    SYSTEM TYPE 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

Like 2 hour ? 3 Hours ? What?

Ok Oh and listen I was going to try and read all the HELP thing

but I said screw it and started the job by hitting Start. I keep all the defaults I think. It's " 2 CD'S ( 1400MB )

Do I really need to know " Advanced Settings and Preview " ?

What do I need to know about this thing really? Ok after I post this I will try and read the whole HELP thing....

Ok I am ONE happy bastard right now !! Freaking Hell !!!

OK listen I still need to learn how to turn a .m1v into a .avi

unless MotionBox accepts .m1v's ... aww hell I want them .avi anyway .... Someone tell me how to do that please. I also want to know how to chop up these videos so I can upload them to Youtube. I also want to just know how to chop up a .avi period to put my favorite scenes from movies onto Youtube.

And I need to learn how to make .torrent file and upload it as well

someone help me with this

I am going to make a post on the uTorrent forum after I read more in the Help web page fro AutoGK here

rock

PROTEUS

15. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Ok I think I have run into a problem here.

VirtualDubMod seems to be stuck at 37 percent

????? It's just sitting there in the task bar at 37 percent like

forever :('

16. MCPROTEUS

MCPROTEUS Member

Ok everyone here is my report !

Ok this is kind of weird. This is what happened ok I thought I had the settings for AutoGK for two CD's ( 1400 MB )

but this is what happened. For some reason VirualDub got STUCK at 37 percent. It just sat there forever at 37 percent. I looked into the destination folder for the autoGK output and what was in there was

agk_tmp

Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1 .avi

and

Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.cd1

I played the .avi and it was the WHOLE video! So like I got what I wanted. I doubled checked to make sure it was the whole video and it was. So I decided to shit down VirtualDub because it was just sitting there forever. But I could not shut it down no matter how many different ways I tired to do that. So I had to shut it down using the Task Manager. In fact I had to shut it down TWICE using the task manager. After I successfully shut the program down that caused another file to be created in the output folder. This new file is called

Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.cd2

and also a text document was made called

Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1_agk

The contents of said notepad are as follows

[26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] AutoGK 2.55
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] OS: Windows Vista (6.0.6001).2
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Job started.
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Input file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Output file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.avi
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Output codec: XviD
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Audio 1: English LPCM 2ch
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Subtitles: none
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Format: AVI
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Target size: 1400Mb
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Audio 1 settings: Auto
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Started encoding.
    [26/04/2009 2:59:51 PM] Demuxing and indexing.
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Processing file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Processing file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Processing file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Processing file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Processing file: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\ALTERED BEATS VIDEO MASH UPS BY EOIN HARRIS BACK UP\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Source resolution: 720x480
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Found NTSC source.
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Source aspect ratio: 4:3
    [26/04/2009 3:00:47 PM] Analyzing source.
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Source has percentage of interlacing in motion areas: 0.24
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Source has percentage of telecined patterns: 0.05
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Source has percentage of progressive patterns: 99.86
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Source has percentage of interlaced patterns: 0.09
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Source is considered to be progressive.
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Output will contain 133199 frames
    [26/04/2009 3:02:44 PM] Normalizing audio.
    [26/04/2009 3:02:49 PM] Encoding audio.
    [26/04/2009 3:08:19 PM] Using VAQ in XviD
    [26/04/2009 3:08:19 PM] Audio1 size: 93,422,880 bytes (89.10 Mb)
    [26/04/2009 3:08:20 PM] Overhead: 5,328,000 bytes (5.08 Mb)
    [26/04/2009 3:08:20 PM] Video size: 1,369,255,520 bytes (1305.82 Mb)
    [26/04/2009 3:08:20 PM] Running compressibility test.
    [26/04/2009 3:08:20 PM] Writing the following script to C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\agk_tmp\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1_comptest.avs
    ===========================================================
    LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~2\AutoGK\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~2\AutoGK\filters\autocrop.dll")

movie = mpeg2source("C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\agk_tmp\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.d2v")
    cropclip = autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10,aspect=0,threshold=34,samplestartframe=0,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
    fixed_aspect = 0.888888888888889
    c_width = width(cropclip)
    c_height = round(height(cropclip) / fixed_aspect)
    input_par = float(c_width)/float(c_height)
    input_par = (input_par > 1.4) || (input_par < 1.25) ? input_par : (4.0/3.0)
    out_width = 704
    out_height = round(float(out_width) / input_par)
    hmod = out_height - (floor(out_height / 16 ) * 16)
    out_height = (hmod > 4) ? (out_height + (16 - hmod)) : (out_height - hmod)
    new_aspect = (float(out_width) / float(out_height)) / fixed_aspect
    autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10,aspect=new_aspect,threshold=34,samplestartframe=0,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
    LanczosResize(out_width,out_height)
    SelectRangeEvery(300,15)
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Duration was: 2 minutes 24 seconds
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Speed was: 46.11 fps.
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Compressibility percentage is: 49.88
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Chosen resolution is: 576x432 ( AR: 1.33 )
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Predicted comptest value is: 74.51%
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Running first pass.
    [26/04/2009 3:10:44 PM] Writing the following script to C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\agk_tmp\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1_movie.avs
    LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~2\AutoGK\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~2\AutoGK\filters\autocrop.dll")

movie = mpeg2source("C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\agk_tmp\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.d2v")
    cropclip = autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10,aspect=0,threshold=34,samplestartframe=0,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
    fixed_aspect = 0.888888888888889
    c_width = width(cropclip)
    c_height = round(height(cropclip) / fixed_aspect)
    input_par = float(c_width)/float(c_height)
    input_par = (input_par > 1.4) || (input_par < 1.25) ? input_par : (4.0/3.0)
    out_width = 576
    out_height = round(float(out_width) / input_par)
    hmod = out_height - (floor(out_height / 16 ) * 16)
    out_height = (hmod > 4) ? (out_height + (16 - hmod)) : (out_height - hmod)
    new_aspect = (float(out_width) / float(out_height)) / fixed_aspect
    autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10,aspect=new_aspect,threshold=34,samplestartframe=0,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
    LanczosResize(out_width,out_height)
    [26/04/2009 3:32:07 PM] Duration was: 21 minutes 22 seconds
    [26/04/2009 3:32:07 PM] Speed was: 103.86 fps.
    [26/04/2009 3:32:07 PM] Expected quality of first pass size: 72.83%
    [26/04/2009 3:32:07 PM] Running second pass.
    [26/04/2009 4:03:38 PM] Duration was: 31 minutes 30 seconds
    [26/04/2009 4:03:38 PM] Speed was: 70.47 fps.
    [26/04/2009 4:03:40 PM] Splitting video into: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.cd1.avi
    [26/04/2009 5:16:22 PM] Splitting video into: C:\Users\proteus\Videos\output fro AutoGK aka Gordian Knot\Altered Beats Video mash Ups - Halloween VHS back up Part 1.cd2.avi
    [26/04/2009 5:18:33 PM] Job finished. Total time: 2 hours 18 minutes 41 seconds

So I GUESS I am happy... I mean I got the .avi file I wanted but I thought it was going to be in two files and what the HECK happened with all that 37 percent Virtual Dub not shutting down WTF !??

Ok well I guess I am going to try my next Altered Beats Mash Up DVD and upload the new .avi I have to MotionBox.

I am going to make a post on the uTorrent forum now and see if they can help show me how to make a torrent.

If anyone can tell me whats going on with my AutoGK that would be very nice

PROTEUS

and sorry about the SIG in the above post I forgot to un check it