1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello this is my first post and a newbie question follows

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KJM_2005, Jan 31, 2005.

1. KJM_2005

KJM_2005 Member

I have a new system with a HP 630 DVD R+/- & RW+/-

I want to be able to use a blank DVD for storing data, but I was hoping I could use it like a floppy or packet writing. The HP techs told me I should just be able to drag and drop right from the desktop without the need to format the DVD for packet Writing. I think he is wrong, and thus why it isn;t working.

That said, what software will work for what I am trying to do? I t came installed with Sonic Record Now and thats for audio ONLY, and InterWIN for DVD video files ONLY.

I'd hate like hell to have to go back to Roxio or Nero just for these purposes, but hopefully on XP they got their act together.

Any recommendations would be suitable.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Depending on which version of Record Now that you have, it should have a section call DLA (direct letter access) that lets you use a cd or dvd the same as HD or floppy. Just be advised that packet writing programs like DLA or Nero's In CD usually cause problems when burning a DVD movie. Packet programs usually need a RW disc. I just use Nero Express with a R disc and add data when I need to. Just check the multi session box and it can be used until the disc is full.

Jerry

3. KJM_2005

KJM_2005 Member

The only medium I bought were DVD+RW, so I should be good to go, if Sonic has this feature you mentioned on my version.

Kevin

4. KJM_2005

KJM_2005 Member

Recordnow 7.22 version. I don't quite see the area to which you can format the DVD to be able to drag and drop from Windows Explorer... You can load files from a previous DVD or drag files into the RecordNow box and then have to burn the disc like a CD in Nero (either burn at once or a multisession burn), which is n't what I was trying to do. I want to drag and drop to and from the DVD like a floppy or hard drive. I went through options and didn't see any option do do as you said, to access packet writing.

5. KJM_2005

KJM_2005 Member

I found this in help:

Drag-and-drop with DLA
    One of the programs associated with RecordNow! is DLA (Drive Letter Access), a utility that lets you add files directly to CD and DVD discs.

If DLA is installed on your computer and you insert a disc formatted by DLA into your drive, you will be able to copy files directly to the disc by dragging them to the Bit Budget, the graphical representation of a disc on the left side of the RecordNow! console.

When a disc formatted by DLA is inserted into your recorder drive, you are notified on the RecordNow! console. In the illustration above, the "Bit Budget" is circled.

Note: CDs created with packet-writing software such as DLA (Drive Letter Access) cannot be copied. DVDs created with DLA can be copied. DLA is not shipped with all versions of RecordNow!.

Where is this DLA utility? Doesn't appear to be on my version, now what?

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I did some research on version 7.2. It doesn't have DLA but claims it can still drag and drop files. To get DLA you need version 7.3 deluxe suite. I'm not sure how that drag and drop will work without DLA.

Jerry