1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a noob burn a dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Spliff74, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Spliff74

Spliff74 Member

Just wanted to say many thanks to all the helpful people that responds to this forum, especially Scuba Pete. My girlfriend just bought a new Dell with a Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram and a pos Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272 dual combo dvd burner. Unfortunately my girlfriend is more computer illiterate than I so I'm the one that is asking the questions here. I read and printed out Scuba Pete's Guide to burn copy protected dvd and everything seemed to go well at first. However, once viewing these burned dvd's, found many glitches about halfway through the viewing. I've downloaded DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor, pc came with Sonic and the dvd burner came with an outdated Nero program. Thanks to Scuba Pete's very easy guides for noobs as myself, it seemed very easy to be able to burn any dvd. Now, if I happen to try the fast way of unticking the Perform deep analysis and compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation, I can burn a dvd in about 45 min, but the quality totally goes to crap halfway through, and even happened to a dvd I burned with Sonic that had no copy protection. However, if I do tick the quality settings the dvd seems fine (about to go see the second one I burned and see how it goes) but it takes about 2 hours to be able to burn the sucker. I'm using Fujifilm dvd-r to burn on...can anybody help to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Am I only able to burn quality backups only by doing the 2 hour process? Am I using a pos media discs to go along with the pos dvd burner? Any help and input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Spliff74

Spliff74 Member

Oh and another quick question here...what's the diff between -R and +R?

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If you use both Perform Deep Analysis and Enhanced Quality Settings in Shrink it will take that long ... Try just doing Deep Analysis and uncheck the box for Enhanced Quality.

You could also try AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2 (if bought together is $65 U.S.). Try it, you can use the full versions for 21 days.

http://www.slysoft.com