1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP burning dvd problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kevindee, May 29, 2007.

1. kevindee

kevindee Member

okay i read the stickies and i still can't figure it out. i get a i/o error but the burner burns dvds when i convert an avi and burn it. its just not backing up my dvds. this is the error i get:

i/o error

device: [0:1:0] matshita dvd-ram uj850s 1.50 (E:)(ATA)
    scsistatus: 0x02
    intepretation: check condition

cdb 2A000000030000002000
    interpretation: write (10)-sectors 768-799

sense area: f10003000000000A00001925730300000000
    interpretation: power calibration area cord

okay so i have the matshita uj850 and from reading i guess there is no replash patch or firmware that i can load. my question is what is going on. i recently bought the vso converttodvd2 and registered it. did that program mess with my systems settings for the burning to where i have to change it back to back up dvds?
    how can i change it back?
    or did i get a bad batch of dvds? i just opened a new pack but its the same brand that i've used. the brand is tdk dvd+r 4.6gb rw
    any help would be appreciated.
    best

2. onya

onya Guest

Have a read of Neph's post, this may shed some light on the problem.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93406

To read more on this topic, type in Power calibration error into the search function (top of page) and browse through those responses. Good luck.

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

your TDKs are crappy media and I would use better quality media..... (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch! Check the label on the box or spindle before you buy and make sure it says MIJ on it! or just by Verbatim!

Matshita drives are usually found is some laptops and are not the best of the burners. It's hard to find any firmware updates for them and from what I read about Matshita burners aren't good. I'm sorry you have one of these drives.

ConvertXToDVD is a great program and will not harm your computer or drive! It converts many different video formats to DVD compliant files ready for burning to disk. that won't mess up your system settings or anything like that.... so rest assure that it's not the program that is your problem.

but the batch of DVDs might be. Just because you keep buying TDK media and had success before with them doesn't mean that you will always have success with the same media when buying in spindles. Only quality media you can be assured on. TDK is made in Taiwan.... and if you're going to get Taiwan disks then you better buy Verbatim..... which are top notch disk! I stick with the MIJs (Taiyo Yuden... I buy them online). using better media stops problems like Power Calibrations, disks not being recognized by burners, and many more problems that can arise with having low quality or crappy media! so it's important to start with quality media!

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If I understand your information correctly, you can record converted AVI files onto DVDs but cannot back up DVDs. That means:
    1) your drive is working properly
    2) the TDK media are working on the drive
    3) the drive/disc seem to be compatible.

That suggests that there is something in the back up software or the settings that is throwing something off. Matsushita makes good drives, but their support after the sale leaves more to be desired. TDK are good media, but attacking a disc brand is the first reaction on this site unless the brand is Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. If there are problems with either of these brands, the immediate reaction is that they must be counterfeit. In your case I would look to the settings and software you have chosen. In order to confirm that the disc/drive combination still works, simply record data to a test disc and check the error profile. If the profile looks OK, the problem lies elsewhere. A disc/drive combination does not care what information it records to a disc, but the guiding software has a great influence on the two. If the settings are not right, the drive will receive incorrect commands.

5. kevindee

kevindee Member

okay now the drive fails to burn completely. now i can't burn anything i just it the power calibration error. did my dvd drive just take a poop on me and its done? hmmm...im still at a lost. now my d drive won't even write.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

here is what the great BBMayo says about Power Calibrations:

<9>I have a Power calibration error?
    Options you can try with "power calibration errors"
    o Try another brand of DVD-/+R or DVD-/+RW media. This is the most common cause of OPC errors.
    o "Slow down your burning speed".
    o Update the firmware of your recorder. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.
    o Check your power connectors, loose connections do occur. Don't share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the errors occurs with an external recorder, Check the USB cable and connections.
    o Try different configurations, such as taking the DVD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.
    o Clean or have your DVD burner serviced. There are cleaning kits available. Sometimes just a gentle appplication of canned air can remove dust blocking the laser.
    o Replace the DVD burner.
    lets hope we don't need to do the last one :)

take a look at the whole page, read this:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136
    good luck.

7. kevindee

kevindee Member

yup read that. i need to go pick up some differnt mediums but the drive can't burn cds either. im starting to think its the last one about the drive going out. this sucks had the computer for less than a year. i guess i will send it back and get fixed.

is there anything to confirm this?

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

check your cables and make sure they are on correctly.... and if all else fails....... NEW!

9. kevindee

kevindee Member

do you mean the power cable? coz this is a burner on a notebook. sorry if i didn't state that earlier. i tried to figure out which cables just now but all there is is the power cable.

by chance if warranty won't cover which i doubt what is the ballpark figure for getting a dvd burner/drive replaced at a computer shop?

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

from what I read here in Afterdawn...... burners in laptops are not the best ..... and I really didn't hear nice things about Matshita burners.