1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! Burning multiple files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wildcrazy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. wildcrazy

wildcrazy Member

I just downloaded a season of Third Watch which came with 22 episodes. i was wondering how do i burn multiple episodes on to a single dvd disk. i know my dvd is 4.7gb(4700mb) so the basic episode size is 415mb with audio seperate audio file(ac3).If iam correct i should get if its possible 10 episodes per disk. total iam going to need is 3 dvd disks.

All my downloaded files are avi with working video and audio codecs. iam just got the hang of transfering them to mpeg2 which is what i think i need to play them in my dvd player?

Any info would be greatly apprieated. i got all 6 season so this might take me a while i just want to do it right.

Thanks

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

First off you're going to have to convert AVI to DVD if you don't have a player that plays DivX. Most players only handle DVD-ROM, -R and +R, and DL discs. You can find some of the less expensive multi-format players that will handle just about anything. Converting AVI to DVD format will greatly increase the file size. Use Nero Vision to convert a couple of episodes to DVD format to get an idea of what the size is going to be. If I remember correctly, you can use Nero Vision to create a menu for the different episodes being added together on a DVD. I suspect you'll be using a lot more DVDs than you originally anticipated.

I forgot to mention, a 4.7 disc contains about 4.37GB of recording space. Programs like Shrink usually use a default lower than that. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4464MB is a safe level without burning too close to the edge.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  3. wildcrazy

wildcrazy Member

So your saying Nero vision is the program iam looking for.
    Here one more technical answer i need to know but can't find on the search functions. I take my file put it in a AVI codec and it says under VIDEO description it is mpeg4 div3= divx ver 3.
    under file its a AVI
    Now if iam converting this from avi to mpeg2 with TMPGEnc then to dvd format, since the video already a mpeg could'nt i just convert it to dvd format.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

MPEG2 is the DVD Format. AVI is a broad name for different formats. DivX is an AVI format as you noted. No need to go with TMPGEnc if all you want to do is convert AVI to DVD format and burn to DVD. VSO makes a program similar to Nero Vision, ConvertXtoDVD. The trial marks the video output though. The Nero Vision from the Nero trial doesn't. I own both of these programs. Both do a good job. WinAVI is another conversion program. You can download a copy from the software section here at AD.

5. wildcrazy

wildcrazy Member

okay so your saying mpeg2 is a dvd format.
    my avi codec file says it a mpeg4. Is a mpeg4 dvd format.

If so (mpeg4)i could already just burn the file to disk and it should work.

And if my file is already mpeg4, should i have to remove the audio file which is AC3 or could i just leave it all together.

TMPGenc is asking for the audio file i guess to join it into the mpeg2 but the beginner guide to dvd burning showing me to seperate the AVi file into video/audio. do i still need to seperate this avi file

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No to your question on MPEG4 being DVD format. MPEG2 is not MPEG4. AT the top of your page you will see a row of Tabs. Select Glossary and read up on AVI, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and DivX. They're a relatively short read. That will give you a better understanding of what you're dealing with than my giving you short answers here. It may even answer some of your unasked questions. Then if you're still intent on using TMPGenc, you can check the guide section or someone may come along to help you through it. I'm not up on using that program. The ones I use simply take the input files and turn out what you want. Good luck.