1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Camcorder too dark during the night

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dacoda, Jun 6, 2010.

1. dacoda

dacoda Member

Hi. Anybody here knows what is the problem of my camcorder? It seems like it cannot "see" during the night even if there's a light in the room. Its so dark that you can't even see a thing except if you will point it directly to the light and you will see just the light.

2. crashdiet

crashdiet Member

it could be one of several problems. If it's a more expensive camcorder, you may have a manual aperture adjustment. Basically the light has to travel through the lens, then the aperture, then hits the image sensor and is recorded as digital data. If this aperture is too small, it will constrict the light rays and could only work outside on a bright sunny day. Benefit of a small aperture is larger depth-of-field. So try making your aperture larger (an f-stop of 5.6 or similar). Otherwise, you could check your exposure settings. If it's always done this, it might be time for a new camcorder. The newer, usually more expensive types, feature a sensor called a CMOS or Exmor R (sony's type). These image sensors will allow you to see better at night. Other than that, sounds like you may just require more light.

3. dacoda

dacoda Member

to check the aperture, do i need to open the camcorder?I've already set the exposure settings to full brightness but still no changes.