1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help cannot connect my laptop to my wireless network!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by johnooo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. johnooo

johnooo Regular member

Hi I have no idea about laptop/computers or internet connections or all this ip stuff or anything. Anyhow what it is for the past year I have been using a USB network adapter in my laptop to connect to the internet.

I have a Belkin wireless router downstairs with my Computer and my Laptop up stairs. Anyhow I changed my RAM last week in my laptop and ever since my laptop wireless connection started going wrong. And yesterday it stoped working completely.

I bought a new USB adapter today and I installed it and it says its got a good connection but the internet dose not work on it. When I click on view wireless connection it dose not fined my router or anything whats going on can anyone please help thanks.

2. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Firstly how far away from the router are you when trying to use the internet?

Secondly is the any wireless phones (Home Phones) Close to the router or your wireless when trying to connect?

Thirdly have you tried to run the network setup wizard?

Also did you install any drivers that came with new usb adapter before you plugged it in?

You could aslo try resetting the router.

Another idea is to check the computer that hosts the router, and see if your firewall is blocking incoming connections. (This sometimes happens after updates)

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

3. johnooo

johnooo Regular member

Hi sorry I forgot to update this thread its all fine now i done a system restore and its working perfect again.

Sorry for wasting your time but thanks for the help.

4. cybernet1

cybernet1 Member

hi there can i get some help i have connected a wireless sky netgear router to my virgin modem and im trying to connect to it from my laptop

the wireless router is a sky netgear router dg834gt my laptop connects to it but when i go on the internet the page wont display when i try to repair it it says problem with DNS server cannot find it can ne one help me sort out this problem as i am using a card inside my main computer an abit antenna and card this works fine but i have to have my pc switched on to access the internet which i dont want to leave it on all the time

please help thanks in advance

5. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Have you tried reseting the router an re-running the installation program.

As a wiresless router you should not have to have your computer on to use the internet wirelessly.

When finished with your computer, do you turn it off at the socket?

If so is your router plugged in where your computer is?

you may be turning off your router when you turn your computer off at the socket.

Also i have read alot of complaints about this particular router having connection problems where it keeps disconnecting and don't reconnect until the computer has been restarted.

Let me know if any of this helps.

6. cybernet1

cybernet1 Member

hey pegasis thanks for reply

yep done all that what u suggested i just went out and bought a belkin router from maplin and it was easy to set up took about 10 mins but the guy tried to sell me another netgear lolol got me laptops set up now wireless and also just bought a playstation 3 today and all that is set up now had few probs updating software as ps3 kept saying network connection error but all ok now

thanks ne way for advice

7. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Thats ok, not a prob.